Reviews tagging 'Death'

Jonathan Abernathy You Are Kind by Molly McGhee

slefebvre95's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

savvylit's review

dark emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

Jonathan Abernathy You Are Kind is a truly terrific anti-work novel. In writing this, McGhee has created an uncomfortable sci-fi setting that feels nearly plausible and also perfectly illustrates the pitfalls of unethical employment. Abernathy as protagonist is a comically gullible and often unlikable young man. His naivete tiptoes the line between believability and satire in a way that kept me riveted throughout. Clearly, McGhee has a deep understanding of American work culture and the desperation that many feel when it comes to finding literally ANY job that may offer a sliver of stability. Though the job that Abernathy accepts is fantastical in nature, it serves as a perfect stand-in for any one of the myriad jobs in this country that ask employees to give up way too much of themselves.

Thank you @astrahousebooks for the advance reader copy of Jonathan Abernathy You Are Kind in exchange for my honest review! All thoughts and opinions are my own.

litliz's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

I loved this book so much. It is like a cross between the TV show Severance and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

alisonvh's review

adventurous challenging dark fast-paced

I liked this book, but I didn’t love it. I might have to sit with it for a while to decide how I feel about it.

not_another_ana's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny mysterious reflective medium-paced

I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher

Jonathan Abernathy is trying his best, but with an insane amount of debt and no job he's drowning. When he's offered a job in a dream, auditing the dreams of American workers to make them more productive, he jumps at the opportunity to tackle his problems and maybe even make something of himself, unaware of what really lurks underneath and the specifics of his job.

An interesting critic of capitalism and the American Dream, this book sucked me in. Earnest, quirky and touching, this is one of the more intriguing and different books I've read in a while. Jonathan Abernathy is such a delight of a character, I found myself relating a lot to him. His situation is one that many of us have been in, with his sincere way of thinking and his lack of self confidence ringing true and so very human. He wants to do good, succeed, improve, but the system he's trapped in needs him to stay down.

The dream auditing was a captivating idea. As someone who dreams a lot, having someone in there judging and cataloging sounds like such a violation of my privacy and my existence that did alarm me. I do wish that the author had dug deeper into the mechanics of it, perhaps showing more dreams and the process of auditing them. While I gushed about Jonathan, he did get on my nerves a bit. I understand his naiveté and its importance to the plot but it got to a point where I was rolling my eyes a bit. The pacing could have been improved, it took a little too long for my taste to get to the meat of the plot.