Reviews tagging Suicide

The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

jesper_fahey's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious reflective sad slow-paced

"The soul is a terrible reality. It can be brought, and sold, and bartered away. It can be poisoned, or made perfect."
- Dorian Gray, the Picture of Dorian Gray
Wow. This book was one of, no probably IS the most fascinating thing I've ever read. Everything single line seemed to have hidden innuendos and the writing was absolutely exquisite and poetic, matching the tone perfectly.  There are hundreds of beautiful quotes and passages, some of which have become my favourite of all time. The characters were fascinating and (of course) the plot was too.

Spoiler Following Dorian's journey from a innocent youth to a depraved elder was horrifying in a way that barely ever see. The guilt he felt when his ex-fiancée died was palpable and seeing it dismissed and washed away by the words of Henry was unbelievably frustrating.  Wilde turned the traditional story telling technique of good bad character - to good on it's head, leaving the reader with a completely unique experience. All you could do was watch on in stunned horror as things got worse.

"When they entered, they found hanging upon the wall a splendid portrait of their master as they had last seen him, in all the wonder of his exquisite youth and beauty. Lying on the floor was a dead man, in evening dress, with a knife in his heart. He was withered, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage. It was not till they had examined the rings that they recognized who it was."
The ending was, in my opinion, absolutely perfect. In the last chapter I didn't think that Wilde would be able to finish the book in a way the matched the tone and excellence of it. But he absolutely did. While the ending predictable on paper, the actual execution of it was shocking and horrific. It ended the story perfectly and honestly I don't think there could be another ending that suits and ends it as well.

While I'm not sure I enjoyed this book, I was more intrigued reading it then I have been in a long time. Enjoyment doesn't have to be the only reason to read and while it often is for me, I truly think that  "The Picture of Dorian Gray" will stay with me for a very long time- if not forever. It's so dense and truly insightful that one could reread it hundreds of times and still gain something new from it. I could tell, even though my literary skills are basically non-existent, that this book is a masterpiece that deserves its spot as a classic. Everyone should read "A Picture of Dorian Gray" once, it has so many fascinating themes and ideas that there's no way one couldn't gain something from it.

toriauricht's review against another edition

dark funny reflective medium-paced

holdencaulfieldirony's review against another edition

dark funny tense slow-paced

seawarrior's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

While some passages in this book were terribly dull to me, Wilde's dazzling language and audacious characters kept drawing my interest back in. I'm fortunate to have just read the works of a few of the philosophers referenced in this book for college, though I'm sure there were several references to other works of literature and ethics systems that went over my head. The edition of the book I had access to did not provide citations of other works Wilde referenced, but I imagine one that did would have only made my reading experience richer.

I'm sure that most of what I can say about this book in regards to its philosophy and history has already been said by someone more knowledgeable that me, so I won't go into my thoughts on those matters. As a horror story I think it still holds up well in the modern day. Dorian's descent into soullessness grows more chilling by the chapter, as his sins culminate and lead to his ultimate end. Wilde's wit and descriptive language made the scenery and characters come alive, and as the book went on I felt it less challenging to make sense of his dense paragraphs and philosophies. I would recommend this book to other readers. It remains a classic not only for Wilde's adept writing, but the controversy it caused at the time of publication.

avaklein's review against another edition

dark funny inspiring mysterious reflective relaxing sad fast-paced

Really good! All about corruption, vanity, love etc. I really enjoyed this and its really simply written and easy to understand for a classic. Love Dorian ❤ the only thing really wrong with it is the slight anti-semitism, like he calls people fat jews 😭 but that wasnt unexpected considering it was written in 1890.

selmv's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

tiene el final perfecto . . da igual q sea predecible, está escrito de una manera q m gusta mucho . .
es super tragico ver la evolución d 1 personaje q empieza siendo tan puro e inocente y "nuevo" y crece para ser (o siendo) alguien taaan corrupto, es 1 concepto muy triste pero a la vez tan interesante . . es mucho mejor q los villanos q son malos d manera innata o q simplemente lo son abiertamente; cuando la gente es mala en secreto me produce 1 fascinación increíble a la vez q mucho miedo pq oh em gee es aterrador - pero justamente de eso carece el libro!!!!!!! no tiene descripciones d lo cruel o corrupto que era dorian durante su crecimiento y tal, sino q nos lo hace entender d maneras muy vagas etece !!!!!!!!!! pero descripciones d cosas banales no faltan :: hubo una parte en la que me enteré d hasta los mas pequeños e inutiles detalles d las telas d damasco y las joyas exoticas y los instrumentos de marrakech con los q dorian tuvo la suerte (o no suerte?) de interactuar d 1 manera u otra Z z zz z zZ z okay rich boy !
en mi cabeza habia escrito 1 reseña tan bien hecha y elaborada expresando lo q pienso del libro pero no sé organizarla ahora q me he puesto en ello . . bueno, tampoco m voy a molestar en ponerle esfuerzo a una reseña d goodreads tee hee ! pero quizás en el futuro edite esto y explique bien mi opinión . . o alome me reservo ese esfuerzo para mi futuro diario de lecturas (q seguramente abandone a medio hacer, como todo lo q hago) aaaaahh necesito leer algo mega devastador algo q m rompa la vida !!!!!!!!!!

anywhereelsebuthere's review against another edition

dark reflective medium-paced

thatnerdclaire's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

rebeccaxpaige's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

alldebstinations's review against another edition

dark medium-paced