Reviews tagging Antisemitism

The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

holdencaulfieldirony's review against another edition

dark funny tense slow-paced

seawarrior's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

While some passages in this book were terribly dull to me, Wilde's dazzling language and audacious characters kept drawing my interest back in. I'm fortunate to have just read the works of a few of the philosophers referenced in this book for college, though I'm sure there were several references to other works of literature and ethics systems that went over my head. The edition of the book I had access to did not provide citations of other works Wilde referenced, but I imagine one that did would have only made my reading experience richer.

I'm sure that most of what I can say about this book in regards to its philosophy and history has already been said by someone more knowledgeable that me, so I won't go into my thoughts on those matters. As a horror story I think it still holds up well in the modern day. Dorian's descent into soullessness grows more chilling by the chapter, as his sins culminate and lead to his ultimate end. Wilde's wit and descriptive language made the scenery and characters come alive, and as the book went on I felt it less challenging to make sense of his dense paragraphs and philosophies. I would recommend this book to other readers. It remains a classic not only for Wilde's adept writing, but the controversy it caused at the time of publication.

konstantina's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective tense fast-paced

This book was definitely something different than what I expected before reading it. Although I understand how controversial it was for its time, and I enjoy the criticism of the author towards the British society and higher class, the endless misogyny -especially of the 10 first chapters- made it irritating to read. Once the story starts moving faster into Dorian's sins, it becomes more interesting. The ending was definitely poetic, but, overall, I expected more than I got from this book.

alldebstinations's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

olivianw's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

mic13's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective slow-paced

spookyfox's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

madisone's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

ingvildlovesneilperry's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

i dont know if i want to give it 3.5 or just plain 4 stars. it was good, the writing was very good and kept the book going, however it was very boring towards the end of it. the ending was a total surpise. the concept of the book is very good and interesting. if you take away the anti-semitism and misogony, it was very enjoyable.

sydneyspangler's review against another edition

dark reflective slow-paced

This book took me far too long to read, but I'm not going to hold that against it because I've been reading Crooked Kingdom for like three months. I'm just not getting along with reading right now. HOWEVER, I have one major hang-up about this book which is why I didn't like it as much as I expected. It's incredibly anti-Semitic.

In all the talk about the not-so-veiled homoeroticism and fantastic atmosphere of The Picture of Dorian Gray, not once was that brought up. I understand it may have been "normal" back then, but it doesn't mean I have to be comfortable with it. There was a pages long description and take down of a Jewish theatre owner. Then, throughout the novel, unfavorable women were regularly put down for their "hooked noses."

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a good book. I did ultimately enjoy it, but I feel with how much this book is raved about, the anti-Semitism needs to be inserted into the conversation more. Even if it's just as a warning, so it's not as jarring.