Reviews tagging Murder

The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

curlynerdy13's review against another edition

dark reflective slow-paced

ambdocksey22's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

The only reason I am not giving this book 5 stars is because of the racially insensitive language throughout the book. I understand the time that it was written but I hated reading through every passage that contained a slur or some kind of racial hatred.

lonloveslit's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious reflective sad slow-paced

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.75

Dorian Gray is beauty itself. Nothing is more important than the beauty of life, and Dorian is the epitome of beautiful. He sits for a portrait and finds himself wishing for the portrait to grow old and ugly, not himself. He is seduced down a path of sin he cannot turn back from and yet he remains young and perfect.

This was a purposefully slow story, romantic and beautiful while dark and chilling. A true classic that I really enjoyed reading and would highly recommend! I love the way Oscar Wilde wrote this, drawing you in to Dorian Gray as he draws everyone he meets in.

I listened to this on Audible and will definitely be adding a hard copy to my shelves!

jamesliggins's review against another edition

challenging dark funny mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

The Picture of Dorian Gray follows the titular young man who is praised left and right for his physical beauty and youth. He makes friends in a painter, Basil Hallward, who creates the portrait, and an eloquent cynic, Lord Henry Wotton, who influences Dorian’s self-obsessive tendencies. What follows is the story of what can happen when you value beauty and pleasure above everything, and everyone, else.

Oscar Wilde’s novel initially garnered attention because of the provocative-at-the-time description of male/male attraction. The 1891 version of the book contains omissions of much of the “explicit” homoeroticism found in the original 1890 publication, making it more palatable to the attitudes of the time.  I highly recommend getting an edition of this book (mine is Penguin Classics) that contains notes that describe the changes made between the editions. The story within the story is of Wilde’s efforts to write a novel authentic to his experience while being bent towards what is acceptable. The novel was used against Wilde in his trials, as evidence of his ‘gross indecency’.

This novel asks the question “what does it profit a man if he gain[s] the whole world and lose[s] his own soul?” Wilde teases apart the themes of art, beauty, morality, and relationships, and explores each of them individually to prove that they are all interconnected. By giving the soul a physical form in the painting, both the reader and the characters are able to stare directly into its eyes to see how our actions and relationships shape the soul. Between the witty dialogue and thoughtful reflection, this book is both an exciting read and a fascinating look into the mind of a man whose life informed his art, and whose art directed his life.

“Words! Mere words! How terrible they were! How clear, and vivid, and cruel! One could not escape from them. And yet what a subtle magic there was in them! They seemed to be able to give a plastic form to formless things, and to have a music of their own as sweet as that of viol or of lute. Mere words! Was there anything so real as words?”

carolinacortesv's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

italianbean's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

milda_mark's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

juliao's review against another edition

challenging dark medium-paced

i ended up liking this much less than i expected but it still ended up being one of my top classics read ! felt disappointed with the choices made, as one does, but it was nonetheless a great critique on narcissism

laurenzokro's review against another edition

dark funny mysterious reflective medium-paced

Although it took me some time to finish this book (due primarily to 1. losing the book and 2. getting caught up in schoolwork) it does not by any means that I didn't enjoy this book or find it captivating - in fact, the exact opposite. Given the number of obstacles I had in trying to finish it, I thought (like frankly many other books I've put down without finishing in the past) that I would lose interest in it - but everything about this book pulled me right back in, and made me more than willing to go back and re-read what I needed to catch up on.

What I enjoyed most about this book was that it truly felt like you were sitting in a elaborately-decorated parlour room, intently listening in on and participating in 19th century conversations that were rich in pompous yet colourful dialogue. I really appreciate how its dialogue and tone so directly matched the novel's central themes, yet wasn't too on the nose - and felt it was much easier as a result to get engrossed in the story.

While I tend to prefer stories that have an extensive cast, the three central characters have such extensive depth and complexity to them that you're able to really spend time dissecting their intentions and behaviours - without ever really being able to get all the answers about why they are the way they are. While the level of philosophical insight could be at times something to work through, it's nevertheless a topic that I feel is prevalent enough (perhaps in some ways, even more so in this day and age than it was at the time) that you're willing to spend time mulling it over. Wilde's artful storytelling and crafting of rhetoric makes it all the more captivating, and I honestly couldn't have enjoyed this anymore than I did.

its_van_vulpen's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced