Radio Silence, by Alice Oseman

alex_sb's review against another edition

emotional hopeful tense

elonzo's review against another edition

what a time. it hurt when i read it in middle school and it hurts again now

manic_mantis's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

bookishchloo's review against another edition

*audiobook*
a LOT better than solitaire. the characters were amazing, combined with a story that was both so easy and effortless to slip into. the podcast subplot was fantastic too.

hhaykey's review against another edition

I read this book at the perfect time, I am at the exact time in my life that Francis is in, meaning that the entire meaning of the story is directed to someone like me. The whole academic pressure topic I couldn't relate to more, although I don't want to be a Cambridge academic, academic pressure is on us all at sixth form, so this is THE book for relatability. From this book, Alice is basically my favourite author now. The story in this and I was born for this is so relatable, she has encaptured EXACTLLY what it is like to be a teenager right now, and for that I am thankful for.

Unlike every other YA, there is absolutely no romance in this, BUT the relationships represented are still absolutely adorable. Francis and her relationship with her mum is my favourite. Her mum is absolutely mum goals with her supportive nature and humour between them both. I think her mum needs her own book because damn the relationship and her character was just iconic. All relationships in the book are great. It's just a solid book. Not a fave but the book did me a solid.

iwanttolivein2d's review against another edition

J'ai acheté le livre parce que j'avais vu un post qui le comparait à mon livre préféré Le monde de Charlie.
Et j'ai adoré, je me suis reconnue dans Frances et tous les personnages sont devenus chers à mon coeur au fil des pages. Universe City est un peu comme un monde parallèle, comme si tu fermais les yeux tu pourrais rejoindre Radio, Toulouse et February dans ce monde.
Un grand coup de coeur.

izisreading's review against another edition

slow-paced

Read this because I heard there was ace representation but sadly I didn't enjoy this book at all. And I am SO BUMMED because I absolutely LOVED heartstopper.

I didn't like a lot of things in this book. Firstly, the dialogue was so choppy and heavy-handed. I don't know what it is but it was off putting at times. I also found the writing to be lacking and cringey. This is the book equivalent of "oh my gooooood, I LOVE pizza and chicken nuggets, I am SO quirky." I didn't like the characters either, a lot of them weren't great. (Frances was so shitty tbh—she couldn't even defend Aled when Lorraine called him a weirdo and problematic. If some bitch was talking about my best friend and they didn't even know half the story? Best believe I wouldn't have said "haha i guess".) Aled was a dick too but that's what I probably am to people because I do exactly what he does, so who am I to comment on it.

I will say, however, that the fandom aspect and online craziness was the most well-written part of the book. And the ending was nice even if I had no idea what happened to Aled's mom.

mara183's review against another edition

*4.5

charitacherry's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

nelabirunt's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective relaxing sad medium-paced