Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline

nadiacandido's review against another edition

When you look past the corniness, clichés and coincidences, it’s a super fun and exciting read. Let your guard down and enjoy the ride!

ambersummers's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

alaby's review against another edition

audio.

envy713's review against another edition

Interesting story line but much too 80s nostalgia for me. It did also rub me the wrong way when Watt listed all of Halliday's favorite authors. 20 authors. All male.

brianbegan's review against another edition

Excellent. Sad it's over.

completelybookedup's review against another edition

3.5 stars out of 5.0 stars

I really thought that I would liked this more. I enjoyed it enough. I love the concept of the game and contest itself. The 80's is one of my favorite eras - I'm a fan of almost all of the movies and music and TV and video games mentioned throughout the story. It's a very cool setting and I loved all of the references.

Wade was a decent main character. He wasn't my favorite and I didn't connect with him quite the way I wish I did, but he was fine. I liked Art3mis as a character better, but honestly could have done without their romance.

My main issue with this book was the exposition. Maybe it just felt this way, and I'm guessing a lot of people enjoyed all of the detail, but I felt like I slogged through the exposition dumps which made up about 65% of the story to get to the action scenes. It's nice that Cline knew his world so well that he could detail every last piece of code that made up the Oasis, but also I don't really care about those things (sorry!).

That being said, I'm glad I finally got to this one and I so want them to start making the video games where you can simulate being a main character in one of your favorite movies!

vy5687's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

tarq1's review against another edition

What a great story. A massive nostalgia trip. It's clear that Cline has a huge amount of respect for the subject matter. Funny, intense, nerdy greatness. The character relationships were interesting. It was also fun trying to figure out all the puzzles and true motives of the characters along the way. I'm definitely interesting in reading other stories by Cline if they are as good at this.

amyhulmes01's review against another edition

I can't really say I enjoyed this book, but I can't really say I didn't enjoy it.

Let me start by saying it took me 10 chapters before I even really started to enjoy and get into this book.

The storyline was interesting, yet slow paced and at times hard to keep up with due to the excessive 80's references. As a Gen Z, I found the references hard to keep up with and unnecessary.

The blurb of this book is what drew me in, and after watching the movie I thought 'Wow, finally, a new sort of idea for a book my generation may be able to relate to!" I was wrong.

I found it hard to read, hard to keep up with and hard to relate to. Although the book was set in the future, 2044, there was a mad sort of jerking between this dystopian future where everyone is struggling and trying to escape from, and the 80s.

It seemed that whenever the book started getting good, the narrative ended and there was more rambling about Halliday and his obsession with the 80s? And please, do not get me started on that rushed ending.

All this being said, the actual storyline was great, I loved the characters. Wade, Art3mis and Aech were likeable, you disliked all the right people, but it did feel like the character I-r0k was just introduced for the hell of it, he served one little plot line and then was gone.

Overall, I do believe that although the storyline was enjoyable and interesting it was ruined by the sheer amount of (to me) niche references. For me, the only redeemable aspect was the likability of the characters.

I feel like if you were growing up in the 80s, or are well educated on the 80s and retro gaming systems and games, then this is the book for you, otherwise there is no point.

kennanicole's review against another edition

I didn't finish it. It's not that I didn't like it or anything. I was listening to this one on audiobook and it just wasn't working for me. When I can get my hands on an physical copy or an ebook copy I'll come back to it hopefully in time for the movie to come out.