Crossfire: A Litany for Survival, by Staceyann Chin

lifeinpoetry's review against another edition

edit:

I've been thinking of reclamation of identity in adulthood. For example, transracial adoptees who visit birth parents in adulthood or travel to the country they or their birth parents were originally from. While I'm still wary of certain aspects of the uglier parts of reclamation (see: DNA analysis making people feel bold in their use of slurs) that's not this so I'm retracting that earlier critique.

evietanaka's review

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

I'm glad that I listened to the audiobook; hearing Staceyann Chin's voice as she reads her own poems added a layer that I think I would have missed if I had read the print copy. This collection is important, and I look forward to rereading it again soon!

pipingplots's review

hopeful reflective medium-paced

bookishcori's review

challenging dark reflective medium-paced

chaucoly's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

ariel_bloomer's review against another edition

I wanted to love this, and I’m glad it exists, but the book format doesn’t have the same punch and life that her spoken word performance of her poems does.

megangafvert's review against another edition

Staceyann is a badass lgbtq feminist woc icon, and her poetry reflects that

aimiller's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

Some really gorgeous poetry and some I didn't love, though of course ymmv and it's an important collection nonetheless. I kind of wish it was more chronological--it just sort of threw me to do the whiplash of a poem about the Trump administration and then go back to a poem about the aftermath of 9/11.

Definitely glad to have this collection out there, though, even if it wasn't my thing personally! Some of her poetry about being a lesbian was really really gorgeous, loved that.

ellies_book_corner's review

challenging inspiring reflective medium-paced

genzea's review

Really bad ass poems calling out so many issues from homophobia, sexism, racism, xenophobia, rape culture, and imperialism. Also contains emotional and personal poems about Staceyann Chin's personal experience such as heartbreak, her family relations and lust. I really love her style it's blunt, filled with emotion, understandable and powerful af.