Reviews tagging Child death

Trail of Lightning, by Rebecca Roanhorse

devy_ka's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

booksthatburn's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

TRAIL OF LIGHTING is a bright light in my reading life, a book with urban fantasy feels but nary a city in sight. Maggie is conflicted and messy, with a supernatural ability to bring death (helped by her gun and very large knife) and not much help reconciling that with the rest of herself.

It's about legacies of trauma and the nature of monstrosity, as Maggie grapples with her understanding of herself. Is she a person who kills monsters? Or a monster who's trying to take other monsters down with her/ Part of this is shown early on when she deliberately withholds her expected part of a culturally important greeting, not wanting to show this part of herself to people she is technically in community with. She feels alienated from them by her deeds. Complicating this is the fact that she's useful to them for the very thing that makes them feel uncomfortable around her, i.e. her talent for death which she uses for monster hunting and retribution.

I love the worldbuilding and setting, blending real climate change fears with Indigenous (specifically Diné) mythology to create a new world from the remains of our own. Some things are directly explained, especially if they relate to her personal history or the particular quirks of this particular dystopian existence, but a lot of specific definitions are left to context clues.

I enjoyed this portrayal of Coyote, Maggie's interactions with him are interestingly tense. I like Kai, he seems like a good counterbalance for Maggie. My few complaints about him have excellent in-story justifications which come together in the end and turn them from annoying to appropriately mysteriously and foreshadow-y.

The big reveal is excellent, I'm very pleased by that part of the ending. This was great and I'm excited for the next one!

redus_reuse_recycle's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

mortonsspoon's review

adventurous dark emotional tense fast-paced

cerilouisereads's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

margaret's review

“Sometimes the ones we call our heroes are the greatest monsters of all.”

In a world ravaged by climate change, the Navajo reservation has been reborn, with legendary gods and monsters coming to life and incredible powers awakening in its people. Maggie Hoskie is a monster hunter, but when she encounters a new, horrifying monster that she might have the power to destroy, she sets out along with a strange medicine man named Kai to discover the truth.

Maggie was a fascinating character who instantly intrigued me. She has a lone wolf action hero feel to her—brusque and aggressive and insistent on working alone—in a way that few female characters get to have. Her character journey as she fights with the parts of herself that she believes to be monstrous, in addition to the relationship dynamics with various other characters, was the highlight of the book for me.

Much of this book felt like a slow buildup to the climax, which made me want the end to feel more, well, climactic than it was. That said, I loved the world that Rebecca Roanhorse built here. It’s bleak and horrifying and full of bad people doing awful things, but I loved the Navajo stories and mythology woven into a futuristic version of our own world. Definitely hoping to pick up the sequel soon!

raireads's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

oksi's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

maiagaia's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

What a start to a series! I loved every minute of this. Every single character and creature were pitch perfect (especially Coyote. I love him). The climax was absolutely amazing, but the ending felt a bit rushed considering the buildup. (Though maybe I just felt that way because I was hoping for a certain reunion that I should have known wouldn't happen in this book.)

tessajane's review

adventurous dark emotional tense fast-paced

This was excellent. It's such a cool world with sharp, interesting characters. I need the next one now please.