Reviews tagging Police brutality

Trail of Lightning, by Rebecca Roanhorse

siannas_second_library's review

adventurous challenging dark sad fast-paced

redus_reuse_recycle's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

griffinthief's review

adventurous emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

sgcxb's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

margaret's review

“Sometimes the ones we call our heroes are the greatest monsters of all.”

In a world ravaged by climate change, the Navajo reservation has been reborn, with legendary gods and monsters coming to life and incredible powers awakening in its people. Maggie Hoskie is a monster hunter, but when she encounters a new, horrifying monster that she might have the power to destroy, she sets out along with a strange medicine man named Kai to discover the truth.

Maggie was a fascinating character who instantly intrigued me. She has a lone wolf action hero feel to her—brusque and aggressive and insistent on working alone—in a way that few female characters get to have. Her character journey as she fights with the parts of herself that she believes to be monstrous, in addition to the relationship dynamics with various other characters, was the highlight of the book for me.

Much of this book felt like a slow buildup to the climax, which made me want the end to feel more, well, climactic than it was. That said, I loved the world that Rebecca Roanhorse built here. It’s bleak and horrifying and full of bad people doing awful things, but I loved the Navajo stories and mythology woven into a futuristic version of our own world. Definitely hoping to pick up the sequel soon!

zoe_'s review

adventurous dark medium-paced

This was awesome. It took me about 100 pages to get fully on board (until Coyote showed up, pretty much) but then I really was all the way on board.
I really enjoyed the fighting scenes, though I would have read a lot more of those or longer scenes (unfortunately, Maggie is either op or up against literal gods, which hardly seems fair). In general, Roanhorse knows how to write some good action scenes. She also knows how to put the reader into the mind/position of her protagonist (it might have helped that I'm socially almost as inept as Maggie). Both of these factors are very potent elements in supporting my emersion into the story. I pretty much read this book in two bursts and completely lost myself in it during each.
The elements of character building and progression were also pretty nicely done. Sadly, I was least interested in Maggie's romantic endeavors which meant that the main relationship-aspects rushed past me, but I did enjoy the moments with the other characters all the better.
The one factor that has lowered my rating the most significantly was, sadly, that I saw the ending coming from a couple of miles away. I don't think everyone will have the same experience as I did, in this regard, but if you're decently well-versed in certain tropes it's rather predicable what will happen at the end. Luckily, I got over it pretty quickly (there's still a lot to learn and to do in the second book) so I'm really looking forward to continuing the story.

manarnia's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

This was an absolutely propulsive read. I had to continuously stop myself from skipping forwards to see what happened. I did not, however, love the main character.

maryellen's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

maiagaia's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

What a start to a series! I loved every minute of this. Every single character and creature were pitch perfect (especially Coyote. I love him). The climax was absolutely amazing, but the ending felt a bit rushed considering the buildup. (Though maybe I just felt that way because I was hoping for a certain reunion that I should have known wouldn't happen in this book.)