Cold Reign, by Faith Hunter

vera_ann's review against another edition

Book 11 of the series and I really liked it. There were some things that finally had some big forward motion. I'm so used to that "beast" voice that I don't roll my eyes at it at all anymore, it just fits perfectly and doesn't mess with the flow at all. Looking forward to the next.

eerbas's review against another edition

Favori serim ya. Hiç kendini bozmuyor.

prgchrqltma's review against another edition

It seems clear that Hunter is starting to tie up loose plot strings, which is good. The setup took forever, though, and some of the tying up seemed really obvious. The writing seemed to take effort, as did the reading.

Previously: My goodness, it's taking a while to read this. Finally, after about 150 pages and a week of unmotivated reading, the plot started to move. If I didn't trust this author, I'd have given up.

meilien's review against another edition

So satisfying!

giantsdancefarm's review against another edition

I skipped several in this series which my library didn'y have, so there were some missing pieces, but I'm a shape-shifter/skin-walker fan, so still liking these books.

vikit's review against another edition

Unlike myself, I got a late start in this series. It was around the publication of the seventh or so book in the series when I finally started to read it. I had my reasons, however misguided, for pushing it but after I read the first book I practically binge read it. And I’m now at the point when I love the series so much that I’m counting down the day until the next book. I was waiting for this book with such and enthusiasm, too.

First, I have to mention the cover. The series has simple but really expressing covers and it is true for Cold reign, too. Even more than for the others because the tones and colors of it give of such a cold and sterile feel that it expresses and shows a lot about the actual story. It’s a brilliant touch in my opinion but I’m not sure that it was intentional.

I’m not going to talk about the world building because we are so late in the story that there is not really anything new to that aspect of the books, it is a really well established part of the series. And I think the author also realized this because lately there is nowhere near as much reminiscing and repeating in it that the previous books in the series. However I have a lot to say about the storyline. This book ended up having a marginally more sedate, slower paced plot than I got used to from the series. There are longer descriptions of the spiritual elements of Jane life and also she dives more into the workings, mechanism of her and her enemy’s magic. It’s provided a more thinking oriented storyline than an investigate and fight driven one which also meant that I found it a bit slower and it could have ended on a duller note if not for other things in it. The other things are the way how the storyline came to a climax point when the characters realized that everything that happened to them from the first book was part of one big, well thought out and connecting master plan. First I thought it is a bit strange and forced conclusion but if you think about it, it makes sense. Also puts a lot of twists and surprising revelations into the arc of the book. So I’m not exactly satisfied with the dynamism of the book but hidden layers in it make up for my disappointment it spades.

Jane has an uncharacteristically melancholic side in this story which is kind of explained in her soul-searching excursions. Other than that she is still the bad ass chick from the first book whole slowly but surely gained a family, friends, connections and more power during her 2 years in New Orleans. Yes it’s only been two years. She is really smart and resourceful as she proved it numerous times. She improved her social skill by a lot and created new, deep and strong connections, got new family and friends. However she also acquired a decidedly girly side and I’m not so keen on this, or more accurately I don’t like the part about her romantic life. Not just because I’m not really fan of the one she ended up but their lovey-dovey moments are a bit too cheesy for my taste and they are also mentioned or happen in the most inappropriate times. It pushes the story or rather Jane character a bit off balance for me. However I love her connection and little inner conversations with Beast. They are fun and delighting.

As for the other characters, there are a lot of regular ones in this series and we get to see yet one more side to the main group of vampires from Jane life. But Leo gone too far in this one. I like him but his scheming and aggressive way which he wants to control Jane starting to create a wedge between them. Oh, Leo my friend how far could you go just with a little bit of trust?
The Younger brothers, Jane permanent companions are also a bit different from their previous selves. Eli is fighting the ghost of his past and also has present personal problems so he is a bit surlier, as for Alex he goes through a lot in this story and mutes with it. I didn’t like Edmund in the beginning but he is starting to grow on me and he has a couple of surprises in talon for us in Cold reign.
There are also a couple of new characters but they are not so deeply developed and a couple of old characters also show up for a brief reprieve.

The last chapter completely took me off my feet and I can’t wait for the next book but I’m starting to fear the end of the series. At least I feel if things go in the direction they are heading right now then the main plotline is nearing the end. I hope it’s not the case because I love Jane adventures and adrenaline fueled escapades.

Other reviews from me, here:FantasyRaiders

heretofeedonbooks's review against another edition

What a great book! I have to admit that I took a break from the Jane Yellowrock series for #9 & #10, for no real reason. But when I saw that Cold Reign had come out, I decided to restart the series, and WOW did I remember why Faith Hunter and her awesome lady Jane had my by the hook for years. This book sees Jane really happy for the first time in while. No longer is she feeling unsure about her feelings for Rick or Bruiser. And just in time, because Jane and Bruiser get to make some very Jane-like love confessions.

Meanwhile, Clan Yellowrock has new members- also can I mention how much I love that Jane has an official family now? I know I'm late to the party but boy am I a fan- and they are both giving Jane new drama to worry about and proving that they have her back however she needs it.

Which is something she definitely needed here, as she confronted the European vamps and the return of Ricky. And no doubt she'll continue to need them, as Leo seems to be playing a very long game that Jane can only stay away from for so long.

5/5- Couldn't have returned for a better entry to this series, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

emmi_reads's review against another edition

I love this series so much and it just keeps getting better, very suspenseful, kick-ass heroine and well developed characters and storyline.

macthekat's review

Another great installment in the series

As always the Yellowrock books are action packed, full of great relationships, characters and so much friendship. To me this series is the best of the kick ass end of the urban fantasy genre.

theficster's review against another edition

I just love this series so so much!