Reviews tagging Misogyny

The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

evawertz's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

This book is one of the few books where I felt like mental illness was shown from the perspective of the person experiencing the mental illness in a very accurate way. Holden's superiority complex is precisely how it is to have one in real life, you feel justified to point out everything you find wrong in people while excusing your even worse faults. You act rashly because everything seems to lack value and time zooms by or stretches on forever in your mind. Unlike most books, there's not a final destination or moment in someone's life that completes the book. The book is a snippet of the plain but complex days in someone's life. There is no happy or sad ending just a pause and let's see what happens. It portrays how life isn't a story with a perfect beginning to end and how you never know what's next.

karinarob's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

teaskate's review against another edition

inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

The Book was fine.It was not a bad read but I did get a bit sleepy ,while reading it.

moonlightamelia's review against another edition

challenging slow-paced

although this is colloquially known as the incel bible, i feel there is so much more we can take from this book in a modern interpretation. the quintessential dissection of the american white boy, i found it fascinating to examine holden caulfield’s psyche and understand the complexity of his insufferable and unreliable condition and superiority complex, though not necessarily in the way Salinger intended - i almost understood this as a satire.

lizziertaft's review against another edition

sad slow-paced

I was gifted this by my older sister when I was 18 and I never got around to reading it. She said it was intended to read before college, I didn’t understand until page 189. I found the words very comforting, unfortunately they came from a character who is suspect of preying on Holden sooo…He’s one of the many predators talked about in this book, to the point where I have to believe the author wanted us to understand how perverse men are.

The POV of Holden gets old quick. The book is slow and severely overrated. What many consider a classic, I think is just outdated and dull. I do have empathy for Holden and hope he found healing where it was he was getting help for at the end. He reminds me a lot of an old best friend I had, I’m convinced Holden was a Gemini moon.

stayfrostyloki's review against another edition

emotional funny sad slow-paced

He's just like me fr (severely mentally ill and disillusioned with the state of the world)

mme_carton's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

bill369's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

My friend randomly picked this book in the library and said I should read it.

I like Holden's sister Phoebe. Perhaps she's only idolised by Holden. Nevertheless, she's likeable. To the book she's like fresh air, she sticks out among the other rotten characters. Most importantly though, I enjoy how she brings the best out of Holden.

Holden gets kicked out of yet another prep school. Therefore, he decides to getaway. While away, he confronts quite a few aspects of the „adult world“ and tries to deal with them.

Page 29, men.

SpoilerJenom proto, že je sám do sebe šíleně zamilovanej, tak si myslí, že vy do něj musíte bejt taky šíleně zamilovaný a že prostě umíráte touhou udělat mu nějakou laskavost. Svým způsobem je to psina.

Page 199, leave past in the past.

SpoilerNikdy nikomu o nikom nevypravujte, poněvadž by vám pak začal scházet.

I'm content with how the book ends.

I am not impressed by the book. However, I'm glad I read it because it's classic. Now I'll know what people are referring to.

grace_cr1's review against another edition

dark emotional sad fast-paced

glittery_witch's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted reflective slow-paced

I’ve heard that it is a red flag if someone likes this book. Guess I’m your problematic fave now.

The Catcher in the Rye follows 16 year old Holden Caulfield as he is stranded alone in New York City for several days after being kicked out of boarding school. The novel is written in an informal, conversational style resembling stream of consciousness, through which the events of the book, as well as the protagonist’s memories and thoughts are narrated in an intimate way.

One of my favourite things about The Catcher in the Rye is that Holden’s mental health issues gradually become obvious to the reader, as they are reflected in his way of perceiving the world, and the manner in which the world reacts to him, but this trait is never exploited, mocked, or used gratuitously. Instead, it is simply part of who he is and we learn to understand him over the course of the novel. A second element that I really enjoyed is the dry, sarcastic type of humour in this book which had be laugh out loud a couple of times.

That being said, I 100% see why this is a miss for many readers, especially if you’re forced to read it in school I can see it being super dull and uneventful. The pacing is extremely slow, and there is little in terms of a traditional plot with rising and falling action, a climax, etc. Also, Holden is an annoying little shit (although I think he is being an annoying little shit in a very entertaining and original way). Personally, I wouldn’t put it on a reading list for teens, because I don’t think it appeals to the majority of them. But if you’re a little literature nerd like me who enjoys more unconventional structures and experimental modes of narration, you might just really like The Catcher in the Rye.