Reviews tagging Mental illness

Alone With You in the Ether, by Olivie Blake

ccouey's review against another edition

emotional reflective tense slow-paced

outbeet's review against another edition

emotional reflective tense slow-paced

potatotoes's review against another edition

emotional reflective slow-paced

I don’t usually write reviews but I feel like I had to, because so much of what bothered me about this book is not talked about.

This book is about… the characters minds? Aldo is a mathematician and Regan is an artist. He is on the autism spectrum (probably, it’s never really discussed) and she has a mood disorder.

Here are some of the things I did not like about this book:

• While there are many beautiful quotes so much of the story is superficial.
    Spoiler For example, in the past Regan commits forgery, gets caught and instead of going to prison gets mandated to see a psychiatrist. We never get the full picture of what she did, with who or why.
  • Spoiler Aldo mentions his past difficulties with addiction briefly. He overdosed once and was able to stop using drugs  “because his dad asked him to”. That feels like such a simplified manner to depict addiction and to me it felt like an afterthought to add backstory.
  • Spoiler Regan decides not to take her pills anymore to go back to painting… this one is tricky… As a health professional I have many mixed feelings about this.  There was very little consequence from her doing this, she was in hypomania at times but that is about it. While I am glad this was the author’s experience, I felt that writing about it in this way lacked some awareness. Bipolar is complex, so for many people it can be extremely dangerous and harmful to not use medication.
  • I enjoyed the first half of this book. The second half was dominated by Regan and I just didn’t like her that much. At the same time, I feel like after reading all of it I still can’t even describe her or what I didn’t like about her.

This being said, the book is interesting at times, has some beautiful quotes and observations. To me it just feels a little Tumblr 2014 with some of the same romanticizations.

connyay's review against another edition

dark emotional slow-paced

jazzyiz87's review

dark emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

mkzach's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

sabrinames's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

syzygygl's review

emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

AMAZING. PHENOMENAL. GROUNDBREAKING. SOUL CRUSHING. THIS IS A MASTERPIECE.

It was beautifully written, the words fit so well. The pacing was great too, I did not have trouble reading it. If I wasn't busy I would've finished this in a day since its quite short (300 pages). Honestly the more I think about it the better it gets. The chemistry between the characters was VERY thick and seriously the way she wrote it made it so obvious. I love it. This warrants a reread because I feel like I could reread this book 1000 times and I would still be finding something new and amazing.

lilliii's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

jessicaludden's review

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced

“Bees are for you.”

I don’t even know how to describe how much I love this book. It’s definitely one of my favorite books of all time. I usually do a favorite quotes section in my review, but I won’t be able to do that for this one because it would basically be the entire book. I loved everything about this. I loved all the theoretical thinking and existentialism. I loved Olivie Blake’s writing style. It’s very on brand for her with the pretentious writing. I loved the characters and all their flaws. There wasn’t much plot in this, but I barely even noticed because I was so focused on the characters. I loved hearing their thoughts and getting their different point of views. It was so interesting to see how Aldo and Reagan live their lives with their respective mental illnesses. I loved their love story and I loved how the author made a place for mental illness in their love story.