Emma, by Jane Austen

oliviabadala's review against another edition

funny lighthearted reflective slow-paced

franciscangypsy's review against another edition

funny lighthearted mysterious relaxing slow-paced

The reader has a very pleasant reading voice.

kailey_luminouslibro's review against another edition

So witty and fun!
I love Emma because she is naive and inexperienced and foolish. She has no worldly wisdom; she doesn't understand much about other people's motivations. She completely misunderstands Mr. Elton. She completely misinterprets Frank. She says the wrong thing. She makes a fool of herself because she is caught up in her imaginary version of the society around her.

And then SHE GROWS! She learns not to be foolish. She comes to understand the wide world and the people who live in it as they truly are, and not as she imagines them. She truly regrets her mistakes, and does what she can to rectify them. She apologizes. She makes better decisions. She learns to be a responsible adult person, who acts instead of reacting.

Emma is ME!! I am still learning all those things. I still say the wrong thing and act stupid, but I am growing into a real person.

And that is why Emma is my favorite character and my favorite book.

ivyflorences's review against another edition

Mr. Knightley is #1 in my books. Don't we love a guy who calls you out on your shit because he genuinely wants you to improve yourself. Emma's character development was lovely. Did I scream when the proposal scene broke through my window like a stray baseball? Yes.

If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.

kailey_luminouslibro's review against another edition

I love that this manga adaptation of one of my favorite classics kept somewhat closely to the original story, even using some of the original dialogue. Jane Austen is one of my favorite classic authors, and "Emma" is my favorite of all her books, so I was really excited to read this one!

The artwork is really lovely and the characters are all so distinct. I love their costumes and the pretty scenery. Sometimes I think the drama goes a little bit overboard though, as though the characters are shouting at each other with wild expressions, or looking dramatically shocked and amazed with wide eyes and open mouths. It just ends up looking a little silly! But most of the time, the characters expressions match the dialogue in a more demure and subtle way.

I enjoyed this manga so much, and it's a great way to revisit one of my favorite stories! Can't wait to read more Manga Classics!

Disclaimer: I received an ecopy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a free and honest review. All the opinions stated here are my own true thoughts and are not influenced by anyone.

misslescano's review against another edition

funny lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

gatorreads's review against another edition

SPOILERS: I think it’s important to keep in mind this just really is not my kind of book. I thought I’d read through some well known authors and try stories I’m usually not drawn to and so this was also my first Jane Austen to read (never seen a movie either now that I think about it).

I knew it would be frilly and about courting in 1800’s England because I know about Austen herself, but this one just had no substance. There truly seemed to be no point to the story. Just a high class group of people and the drama that comes with dating/getting married. I think I really could have still enjoyed the story if I felt the story was had more to it, but it really doesn’t go any deeper than being about a woman saying she’d never marry and seeing her change her mind and hurt people in the process.

The only reason this one got two stars instead of just one is because the audio presentation was wonderful with multiple character voices and sound effects. These truly do become favorites of mine simply because they’re so fun to listen to.

This is one of those I need to read with a book club or get your thoughts on it to see if there’s more that I’d come to love by discussing it and trying to find a deeper meaning. If you love this story and can show it has more to it than what I’ve said, please change my mind on this one.

wickie46's review against another edition

I read a new original audio production on Audible With Emma Thompson. Terrific way to "read" a classic.

gdlaea's review against another edition

slow-paced

stellabrody's review against another edition

lighthearted slow-paced