NOS4A2, by Joe Hill

mj_46's review

Joe Hill at his best. This book just reads itself. I started 2 days ago and couldn't put it down. You just have to know, what is going to happen next. Brilliant, delightful, twisted, sad story.

boocmarc79's review

When I was young I worked at a tiny grocery store in a tiny town called New Era. During Christmas it would pump cheery music through old speakers. Every once in a while the music could be heard off-holiday, and it gave the quaint little town an unsettling atmosphere. This book brought back that cold, 'something is not right' feeling and turned it up to 11.

jeanettelenore's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

kleinerpanda_'s review against another edition

Das Buch ist sehr spannend und packend geschrieben (auf seine eigene Art). Beim Lesen hatte ich teilweise ein beklemmendes Gefühl. Bei dem Gedanken daran, was es mit dem Christmasland auf sich hat, wurde mir mulmig. Eine sehr außergewöhnliche Geschichte. Besonders gut gefallen hat mir, wie der Autor mit der "Willens- und Vorstellungskraft" umgegangen ist. Was ist real, was nicht?
Das Ende hingegen fand ich nach der tollen Story und den aufgebauten Emotionen leider etwas schwach.

j0_v4l's review against another edition

2.5 rounded up to 3.

The book flowed well in the early parts and had some whimsical moments where I as the reader was actually becoming lost in the world that Joe Hill had created.

With that being said, the big issue I had with this piece of literature was lack of fear I actually felt while reading it. Part of me was hoping that this would be Joe Hill’s masterpiece but it fell just short. It should have been scarier and it had all of the opportunities to be just that. Scenes where victims were helpless just didn’t have that wow effect on me. It was more “blah” than anything.

The story, while interesting, lost me midway. I had to put the book down and walk away for a little while. I was frustrated at the lack of progression the main character was making. It wasn’t until the later chapters that I was brought back into being engaged with what was going on because the inevitable end was near.

Things I liked:
1- The imagination. Clearly draws inspiration from his father’s work such as “IT”
2- Protagonist is flawed but believable. She is someone we can rally behind since she had been through so much. You wanted her to win.

Things I disliked:
1- Too long. The book dragged along throughout the middle and seemed like it would never end.
2- While the main antagonist was interesting, I wanted more book time with him. We received more from his assistant than we actually received from our main villain.

It is a forgettable journey and that's a shame. It had so much potential to be the “IT” for the next generation. I’m still a fan of Hill and I look forward to what he creates in the future but this one will be shelved for the long haul. I doubt I'll ever pick it up again. The journey was not worth the reward.

alonsomitza's review

Great scale, loved (i.e. hated!) the characters.

kgaitzimeo22's review

2019: Take a ride with Charlie Manx to Christmasland! A wonderland for children where every day is Christmas and unhappiness is against the law! Using his special Rolls Royce Wraith, Charlie Manx “rescues” children from their parents and drives them to Christmasland. Strange things happen to both Manx and the children as they travel through the snowy hidden highways. Meanwhile, young Victoria McQueen discovers that riding her bike through a special bridge allows her to find missing things. On a trip through the bridge, Vic meets Maggie, a librarian who understands the connection between Vic and Manx. With Vic’s uncanny ability to find things, she is the only one who can help find these children and their evil chauffeur.

This was my second time reading this and I loved it even more than the first. Kate Mulgrew does an excellent job and I love listening to her different voices.
Spoiler I also particularly noticed how flawed Vic is as a character. I did not pay much attention to that the first time I read it, but it is such an important part of the plot. I feel like it is common for protagonists to be good people always trying to do the right thing. Vic started off good but with her parents constantly fighting and her powers taking a toll on her, just like they did to Manx, and she became more selfish. I just thought it was a unique path to follow her from childhood to a tough adolescence to an unhappy and troubled adult life.
She remained badass even when she did not see herself that way. There was excellent world building and such cool characters with fun abilities. Christmasland and the wraith were SO interesting and exciting to read about. Overall this is just an excellent book with so much going on I don't even know where to start!
Other thoughts:
-Bing's role was interesting and QUITE disturbing. For a man who thinks he is doing the right thing, it is interesting how Manx chooses his sidekicks....
-I also loved how Kate Mulgrew said Bing's rhymes. So darkly sing-song it was wonderful!
Spoiler Vic getting phone calls from the hungry children in christmasland was so cool and despite how much it sucked for her, I loved how it got her admitted to an institution. That rarely is seen in protagonists and knowing that she is not crazy made it all the more interesting. Setting her house on fire and whatnot. I just love the psychology used in the story, Vic's reasoning and thought process.

The ab

2016: I really enjoyed this book. I read it as an audiobook and the reader Kate Mulgrew did such an awesome job sounding creepy! Joe Hill did another great job writing from a woman's perspective. I was upset by the ending to a degree, but I also LOVED part of it. Overall - very good read, pretty creepy.

loryndalar's review against another edition

... Yeah... Hill is just so much better than his father... isn't that a shame?
Creepy, horrific, smart, but is it really "horror"?

lucilimon's review

darraaagh's review against another edition

This was fun! Not particularly scary, unfortunately.