aharey's review against another edition

The Lost Vintage is a novel that surprised me. There have been countless World War II novels published in the last few years, but this is the first I've read that focused on Occupied France. The story is told through a dual storyline. The main one takes place in present day California and the Burgundy region of France as Kate Elliott returns to her ancestral home, a vineyard that has been in the family for generations, in order to study for the Master of Wine exam. While there, she discovers a secret cellar, filled with vintage wines. She also discovers the story of her unknown great aunt, Helene, whose journals tell the other story of Occupied France during World War II.

Ann Mah's writing completely captivated me. The many twists and turns in this tale are expertly weaved into a story about family, choices, and sacrifice. I highly recommend this book.

libraryjunkie's review against another edition

This was my first Ann Mah novel, and it won’t be my last. In this sweeping, dual time line story, set in the USA and French wine country, I was captured by its emotionally intense and feel good story lines. A story of family secrets and deciding what is best left secret; the reader cannot help but to be taken in by these likeable characters. Follow Kate and Helene through history as they confront their own ghosts and realize their true selves.

mperret's review against another edition

This was a solid book- I love wine and I love France, so the subject matter was very appealing, and the question of dealing with the past of your ancestors is an interesting one. If partial ratings were allowed, I might rate it a little below four stars, not because there was any issues, but more because I found it good, not great... and I've been fortunate enough to be reading some great books these days!

rbkegley's review against another edition

Most of my pleasure reading happens in bed, in that 30 or so minutes between turning in and getting sleepy enough to turn out the light. Generally, when I reach that point of eyes closing, I gratefully darken the room and quickly go to sleep. This novel is one of the few books I found myself pressing forward with, wanting to uncover the next chapter in the unfolding story. As with Ann Mah's first novel, this book is an immersion in a different culture, the French wine producing world. Along with learning about the lifestyles of the people involved in that very old region, she weaves in a story of family, mystery, and eventual redemption. A very nice read, and I'm looking forward to her next books.

prpltrtl946's review against another edition

A lotta wine and a mystery

Love, wine, war and secrets, but mostly wine. I think I got put off by all the wine making, tasting, schooling and jobs. The WW 2 mystery was interesting but got diluted by all the wine talk.

chocolatelady1957's review against another edition

France and fine wine are practically synonymous, so when Kate needs to study for her Masters of Wine test, where else would she go but to her own family’s vineyards in Burgundy? There she finds there’s much more that’s been corked up than just some delicious drinks. This is the basis of Ann Mah’s newest novel “The Lost Vintage” and you can read my review of this contemporary and historical fiction book on my blog here. https://tcl-bookreviews.com/2018/07/27/bottling-their-history/

rebeccaguyer206's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this book and read about 75% of it in one day. The book started off a little slow and I wasn't sure how interested I was. But things started being revealed about Kate's family's past and I was hooked. I had to know what happened in the past and it was so interested to follow how it was affecting the family's present. I really liked Kate as a character and her family was so charming (even when they were being stubborn). The last third, I couldn't put it down. I needed to know what happened to Helene and what happened to Kate and so many shocking things were revealed. I felt all the emotions that the characters shared and by the end I was almost exhausted. The writing was beautiful and the descriptions of the grapes and France were wonderful.

alwyshaveabook82's review against another edition

Historical fiction about Worle War II in Burgogne (yes, the grape-growing region of France). The two plots fit together well, the descriptions of the countryside and the wines are marvelous.

I must admit that, by the end of part II, I was worried about the unhappiness and dismal future, but the author cheered me up during part III.

pnelson384's review against another edition

This book does an excellent job of painting a picture of not only what it might have been like in France during WWII, but also offers a glimpse into the world of wine today. The author does a wonderful job of pulling the reader into the story and I felt a connection to the characters of both time frames. It made me want to learn more about that aspect of WWII and also about the wines from that part of France. There is much to think about after finishing the book.

I received a copy of this book as part of the Harper Collins Book Club Girl book club. I am not required to review the book, nor am I receiving compensation for doing so. This opinion is my own.

cbking's review against another edition

Worth reading for the Burgundy references, but a rather clunky plot and obvious dialogue.