Aphrodite Made Me Do It, by Trista Mateer

oakashandthorn's review

This was aggressively mediocre

janellerad's review

This is a series of poems and thoughts, in which a female, troubled by her past and society's inability to accept her as she is, has a discussion with Aphrodite. Aphrodite talks about her past, and the ways in which we was perceived by others. This book helped me immensely with self reflection and healing from past traumas. The raw honesty of the author made it easy for me to feel connected to her, and I felt like I was talking to somebody who understood me and the way I felt about life. I will be rereading this book before returning my copy to my local library.

When I first began the book, I was worried that the content would trigger me too badly, and that perhaps it would not be the best for me to read. However, as I continued, the book served as more of an honest healing device. Perhaps I wasn't used to feeling like another individual was peering into the more difficult events of my life as deeply as Mateer appeared to be. In any case, the poems did wind up helping me on my journey towards softening my traumas and self-acceptance.

gretchenplz's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring sad fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

I don't like reviewing poetry that is so clearly personal and utilized as personal reflection and healing.

Was this good? Yes.

Was it emotional and inspiring, and did it make me nod along and raise my eyebrows, and even get teary eyed? Yes.

But do I think this was revolutionary, or even saying anything new? No. It isn't.

butter_fly's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

randi_in_horrorland's review

Thank you to netgalley for my free e-ARC copy of this book!
This is my first poetry book I have ever read before. I actually didn’t know this was poetry when I requested it. I normally don’t enjoy poetry as I find it rather boring, but this book was not boring at all. I devoured this book in about 30 minutes... I just couldn’t put it down.
This book cover so many controversial subjects, LGBTQ, abuse, rape, etc and helps talk a woman through it in such an empowering way. I found myself highlighting entries and wanting to put them on sticky notes all throughout my house. Honestly, these quotes should be yelled at from the rooftops!
“Love has little to do with blood relations and more to do with who you choose to bleed for”
YAAAAAS QUEEN! This quote validates how I choose my circle and who I consider family.
I need to buy a copy of this book for myself and for all my lovely females out there.

lorelaisgilmore's review

I didn't know that I needed this that much until I had this.

alliecorinne's review

dark emotional reflective fast-paced

msandbox19's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring reflective relaxing slow-paced

cmkaelin's review against another edition

emotional reflective