Dust & Decay by Jonathan Maberry

queenie_literary2022's review

dark tense medium-paced

orangejulias's review

adventurous dark emotional funny inspiring sad tense medium-paced

So adventure packed and full of brutal tension. Old characters came back and new ones were accepted and defeated. RIP Tom 😭🧟

mirrorchaser's review

After reading [b:Rot & Ruin|7157310|Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)|Jonathan Maberry|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1264898635l/7157310._SX50_.jpg|7443037] I was optimistic about what the later books in this series would be like but I didn't have any kind of deep connection to the characters or their story. I had no desire to rush out and get Dust & Decay, and I had no ache in my chest when I closed the book. It was good but it wasn't phenomenal.

Dust & Decay was like Rot & Ruin 2.0, New and Improved. Some of the major questions that we had were answered but there were still plenty of plot lines left wide open for the next book. I do think some of the secondary characters introduced were unnecessary and not fleshed out properly but I think the author was afraid to spend any more time on them and potentially overwhelm the story.

The biggest disappointment in this book was the fact that I didn't feel any strong emotion during a major scene towards the end of the book
Spoiler When Tom died after they fought in New Gameland.
but I felt plenty of catharsis at other points in the novel.

okafon's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

audreychamaine's review

It’s been six months since Benny Imura first set foot into the Rot and Ruin, and all that time Benny’s brother Tom has been training Benny and his friends. Together, they plan to leave the safety of their town and travel across zombie-infested country on a scouting mission. However, there are larger forces at work out in the Rot and Ruin–forces that want all of them dead. What’s most frightening about the Rot and Ruin is that the scariest thing out there isn’t the zombies, it’s the living.

This follow up novel to Rot & Ruin is as good, if not better, than the first of the series. Benny’s a much more mature character at this point, so it’s easier to read along with him and root for him in dire situations. We also get to experience more interaction with Lilah, the Lost Girl, and with Benny’s friend Chong. Benny and Nix add depth to their relationship, as do Benny and Tom. All in all, we’re seeing growth of characters we already care about, and are introduced to new compelling players in the story.

Speaking of new characters, there are many more cameos by the mercenaries featured on the zombie cards of the first book. The inclusion of these characters added another dimension to the novel, and I loved seeing them in action.

Tom Imura really shines in this novel. If you thought he was good in the first book, in this book he’s practically a justice-serving god. He’s an amazing fighter, but also has a real depth of feeling for his brother and for humanity in general. I had a total character crush on Tom, and would want him on my side, zombie apocalypse or not.

Dust & Decay is absolutely action-packed, and keeps you guessing. I lost plenty of naptime on the train because I just had to keep reading. Maberry’s mastered the art of cliffhanger chapters, and rocks at action sequences. I think this series also allows him to show off his skill at writing emotion and pathos. I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for the next book in the series, and if you read this book, you will be too.

jfaw89's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

deemazztan's review

WOW!!! I finished it and could read it again! Wish it were next August so I could read the next installation. Will have to branch out to other books by this author.

sparklingreader's review

I was fortunate to be able to read the ARC of this latest zombie book from Jonathan. He's at it again, with Dust and Decay being the second book in his zombie series. The first was Rot & Ruin, an excellent book.

This book takes up where the first one left off. Benny and his friends are training hard under the tutelage of Benny's brother, Tom. Lilith, the lost girl, has joined them as they prepare to do battle against the zombies. In the previous book, they killed Charlie Pink-eye and shut down the infamous Gameland - a place where kidnapped children were forced to fight zombies for entertainment of the betting and twisted spectators. Unfortunately, just because you take down one uber-bad guy, that doesn't mean there aren't more to take his place. Which is what happens. I won't go into all the gory details - and they are very gory - suffice it to say that the Inura boys and their friends kick some major butt - but not without great cost.

Though the story was well done, I didn't like this one as much as I did the first one. I thought it much more graphic (okay, I know it's a horror book, but the first one wasn't as bad) and the point of view switching was more obvious - at least to me.

Don't get me wrong - if you like horror books, you'll like this one. The story is a good one and I sat there and cried as I read the last chapters, which means I really cared about the characters and that's good writing. It was just a little too icky for my tastes, but still a good book.

If you haven't read Rot & Ruin, I suggest you read that one first. It's not necessary in order to understand the story, but it does give you more background into the characters and let you know why they're doing what they're doing. Together, the books are two of the best zombie horror books I've ever read. If that's your thing, you'll enjoy these.

juliajoanneblack's review against another edition

OMG! The ending! :((((

napqueeniereads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad tense fast-paced