Eros the Bittersweet by Anne Carson

caw21's review

emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective relaxing slow-paced

klara1204's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced

sadierain_'s review

honestly just got tired of it! i wanna read her poetry

yvkhan's review

This book begins as an academic exercise but ends in poetry. I don’t know if I’ve overlooked things due to my own ignorance or if the book seeks to blend intellectual meaning with emotional resonance (with some passages only seeking the latter without the former), but this was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The first half was a bit of a slog, but I devoured the second in a matter of hours. Deeply complex work though, for better or for worse.

lilcalamansi's review against another edition

A text that changes and endures with the reader, permeating all experiences of Eros thereafter!

"To reach for something else than the facts will carry you beyond this city [without imagination] and perhaps, as for Sokrates, beyond this world. It is a high-risk proposition, as Sokrates saw quite clearly, to reach for the difference between known and unknown. He thought the risk worthwhile, because he was in love with the wooing itself. And who is not?" (192-193)

pmj_pdf's review against another edition

informative reflective slow-paced

gracekisch's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective slow-paced

minnchops's review

I think in my review of Fragments I knocked it a point because it didn’t have enough of Carson’s thoughts on Sappho’s poetry. I now think that was a blessing after reading this.

Overall I found it fine but really dull, not something I’ll think about after I finish this review.

thrilled's review

gave me wings

itsjade_g's review

challenging emotional informative mysterious reflective medium-paced