A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, by Holly Jackson

rebekahlee's review against another edition

A snow day called for me to sit and read this entire book. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. I haven’t been in to YA as much anymore, but this was very mature for a YA thriller. The dialogue was well done. It took me maybe 20-30 pages to really get hooked and then I couldn’t put it down.

I loved the characters. I really did. At least Pip and Ravi. And I loved that they didn’t ha e a forced romance. I think if they get together in the next book, that’s the right progression for their relationship. And Ravi was just so great.

There was so much happening that it was easy to forget a little detail that happened until it was relevant and then it hit you. And you freaked out. I thought everything flowed well together to make a really suspenseful ending. I was a bit suspicious of one of the killers, but not both of them. I was a bit disappointed with Sal’s death. It didn’t make the most sense to me, but I honestly didn’t think any of the suspects made sense for killing Sal, so it still worked out. And the whole teenagers drunkenly doing a hit and run is a plot line from a horror movie, but it still worked.

All in all I was super impressed.

TW: sexual assault and rape discussed, animal death.

lyewater's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

so so so good

catshepshut1's review against another edition

A decent read. I enjoyed it, it kept my attention the entire time. But throughout the whole book I was just distracted the entire time with similarities to the Serial podcast (the general premise and the murder recreation is almost exactly the same), Truly Devious (amateur sleuth solving a cold case through a school project), Two Can Keep a Secret (the similarities in the endings). Nothing ground breaking with this story, but an interesting read with good characters and a solid plot line.

abi_collingsx's review

funny informative inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

I think I was a little bit too old for this book, but I did really enjoy it. A bit like Pretty Little Liars. The fact her EPQ was about a recent local murder case is highly unrealistic because of how unethical it is, but I can forgive that

novelstorian's review against another edition

This was such a surprisingly good read! Definitely one of the few YA mystery novels that appeal to my reading taste.

Book review coming soon but all you need to know is that this is a solid 4 star read. Highly recommend.

mefhreads's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

georgiasreading's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

erinepeterson's review

Read for a good time. Judged harshly for how *highly improbable* everything was.

alexisjp_'s review

adventurous challenging dark inspiring mysterious medium-paced

I loved the way the characters solved mysteries

juliannar's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious tense fast-paced