Year of Yes, by Shonda Rhimes

meghanchristian's review against another edition

I don't know if it was the audiobook but I enjoyed the message of this book, but didn't find Shonda likable...inspiring but not likable.

melissa_is_reading's review against another edition

I will be recommending this book to everyone! Such a good read, funny, informative and inspiring. Love it. Listen to the audiobook which is voiced by shonda herself which is amazing.

biingo's review against another edition

Oh I love it! And it was 300% more special hearing it narrated by Shonda herself.
I'll admit I've never watched a single episode of any of her shows (now I definitely want to) and yet I had a wonderful time getting to know her, her work and her brains (good and bad) through this book. It's inspiring! She sure does have a way with words. Wow.

lp27's review against another edition

Shonda Rhimes has a real talent for empowering women despite our differences (be it race, age, mother/not). I found her delightful and powerful, which are adjectives that we don't combine enough when describing women. I cried at more than a couple of places and will keep some words to live by in the back of my head (say Yes to a compliment, you deserve it).

jasmines_nook's review against another edition

funny inspiring reflective medium-paced

Yes yes yes

This book is a self help slash biography book from the screen writer of greys anatomy, scandal, how to get away with murder, private practice... to name a few. Makes for an entertaining read as well as being motivational.

allysonjacob's review against another edition

Perfect book for me at this precise moment in my life.

kari_webster's review against another edition

So I’m addicted to Grey’s Anatomy & Scandal. I’m on my third rewatch of GA and nearly finished my second round of Scandal. I bow down to the genius that is Shonda Rhimes.

As far as this book goes, it took a little while for me to get used to her writing style - the first few chapters in particular are very repetitive as she writes how one would speak but it either gets better or I get used to it - either way, i read this book in two sittings. I liked that she discusses all aspects of her life and how she made changes that improved them and also discussed her amazing tv shows, the actors in them & the crew etc... i’m glad she loves Cristina Yang as much as I do.

I’m left feeling hopeful, i’m left thinking yes, ‘no’ is a complete sentence, i don’t owe anyone explanations. I’m left thinking yes, women don’t take compliments well, i, too, should say ‘thank you’, smile and shut up when I am given one. I’m left with a lot to think about and happy in having read a fun enlightening book. I’m left dancing it out & standing in the sun (oh how i love how her mottos align with GA & Scandal!). I love Shonda Rhimes. She’s an incredible woman & I would like to hear/read more from her.

regina_confettibookshelf's review against another edition

This wasn't what I thought it would be. If the title was changed from "How to" to "How I," it would be more accurate. It's more memoir than self help. I expected anecdotes about saying yes to random requests or opportunities, but the content is more: I said yes to losing weight! I said yes to accepting fancy Hollywood awards! I said yes to uncomfortable conversations! I said yes to saying no!

kait_carmichael's review

inspiring slow-paced

pocketeditionlibrarian's review against another edition

This was a little fast and loose with the whole "year of yes" theme. But it was still an entertaining listen.