Neon Gods, by Katee Robert

kattsnow's review against another edition

I chose this book thinking it was part of a different series so I think that might be why I didn’t love it as much? I’m not typically big on fantasy books and the mix of mythology and modern day had me struggling to really love it. The writing was fantastic and the author’s ability to have the authors really imagine the backdrop and the characters and their relationship is amazing.

canderson's review against another edition

Again, I was sold on this novel by the cover, and the fact that it popped up on the "Recommended for You" kind of screen on NetGalley, so I downloaded. I didn't even read the description or check out the genre, because honestly, who needs to with a cover like that, right? Plus the title? Sold. Greek retellings are super in right now.
The first two chapters had me HOOKED. I loved the set up, although I did feel like the storyline was a bit forced - like the world-building wasn't done as effectively as it could have been. Quick summary, this is a retelling of Hades and Persephone in the modern age. The gods, depending on which one you are, either inherit the position of said god, are bestowed a gift to be the god, or are voted into the position by the people of Olympus. The gods (minus Hades) are known as the 13; essentially the world's powerful socialite class. Sounds great, right?
But it falls into typical mythology very quickly, and misses some major points—so the world building itself was very clunky. As a retelling, the author stuck with the true names so it kind of gives away the story. However, in true mythology Zeus is Persephone's father; which, once you read the novel, I guess is probably a good piece of the myth to leave out of this story; but again, world building and use of names had me kinda "meh" about the story.
On the other hand, again me being the blind reader I am and just diving into a story because the cover is pretty, the erotic romance was a surprise. A pleasant surprise, but still a surprise. My only issue with this was that I wish I was reading it myself, not listening to the audiobook because honestly, the voices aren't that greatest selections to portray the characters in my opinion.
Audio review: Persephone's narrator is great. She sounds young, slightly timid, but still fiery. When she does Hades' voice; it sounds ancient and creepy -- not in a sexy way. I could almost live with it; but than we get to Hades' narrator ... I'm torn on his interpretation of Hades. I love the voice, but when he's using erotic language it sounds like he's uncomfortable saying the words, when in fact he should be the total opposite. I actually find myself giggling when he says pussy, cock, etc. because it sounds like it pains the narrator to say them. And then, when he does Persephone's voice; I can't help but laugh because it's just so different from her narrator's voice... This is probably me being nit-picky, but I would have preferred to read this myself than the audiobook version. I think it would be a bit sexier if my brain was doing the voices inside my head.
Okay, so back to the story itself. It was a quick, steamy read, that I wish the author would have explored a bit further. Writing a character like Hades, having these "wicked kinks" — they weren't that wicked. There was nothing too forbidden about them, other than he liked to perform in front of crowds. Otherwise, it was a bit vanilla
Clearly Book 1 in a series, so perhaps we will see the author delve a little deeper into those fantasies we kept alluding to during the novel. Lots of potential here, I'd like to see where this goes, so I'll probably stick around for Book 2. There was a decent transition out of the first book plot-wise so I am intrigued and hopeful that the world-building will become a bit more succinct in the next installment.
Happy Reading!

shinypurplepants's review against another edition

emotional

A 'modern' retelling of Persephone and Hades with a BDSM twist. The audiobook features dual narration which wasn't my jam as the narrators' imitations of each other's voices was fairly off. In general, the characters have decent chemistry and the drama of Olympus was interesting enough to finish the book but not enough to get me to pick up the next title.

Recommended for readers that enjoy steamy 50 shades-style romances but with much more emphasis in ongoing and enthusiastic consent between all parties.

stezeiger's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

chrissybooksandthoughts's review against another edition

dark funny mysterious fast-paced

Amazing book. I love Hades and Persephone. I can't type fast with my nails. Just know this is a 5 star for me.

stayyreading's review against another edition

4.5 ⭐️

The first book of the Dark Olympus series, Neon Gods is a Hades and Persephone retelling, and I have to say its my favorite retelling of their story that I have read! I loved this version of Persephone so much! She was strong-willed, smart, and a formidable match to Hades. Hades was still his broody, grumpy self but once he meets Persephone everything starts to change for him. Their fake dating arrangement to get her out of a surprise engagement to Zeus was everything. Their tension was off the charts right from the beginning and their scheming was so much fun. And lets not get into the very hot steamy scenes at a certain type of club that Hades owns

givnuapeacesign's review against another edition

A fun, twenty-first century version of the Greek gods. With the exception of Zeus, they’re all elected mortals now. Zeus is mortal too, but that job is passed down from father to son. Hades lives in Mount Olympus across the River Styx. Zeus’s latest desire is to marry Persephone. But she runs off, crosses over to Hades, and Zeus wants her back. Meanwhile steamy sex scenes are central to the plot.

piowono's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional fast-paced

p4intthestars's review against another edition

This was … odd. The writing was decent, the world building was seriously lacking. I felt like the Olympus/Gods were slapped on at the end to make it more enticing to an audience that tends to lean towards myth and fantasy retelling. Hades and Persephone could have been named Jack and Diane and this story would have been exactly the same.

The Hades/Persephone and 13 story plot made absolutely zero sense and I think if the author had just leaned into her original story and just gone after a mob type family this would have been much more of a win for me. I couldn’t make myself suspend disbelief enough to read all the Olympian names paired with Matthew and the like, especially when if you stepped back, the lore just made zero sense.

If you factor that out, the heat between the characters is off the charts, although it happened a little too fast for me, I could have used some more tension.

amanda_woodbury's review against another edition

These books are spicyyyy.