We Could Be So Good by Cat Sebastian

cats_n_plants_n_cats_n_plants's review against another edition

emotional slow-paced

girlreading's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

This book is so special. I could use countless grandiose words or scour the thesaurus for the biggest, smartest sounding words to describe this book but sometimes simpler is better and this is one of those occasions because this was truly just so special.

Cat Sebastian has written a love story that manages to be soft and gentle and almost domestic at times, whilst still portraying the fear that comes with living a love that society has deemed illegal.

Cat's ability to craft a scene and setting truly blew me away in that I could picture everything. Whether it be a stroll down a street, bathing a cat or a conversation in an apartment; Cat's words conjured a crystal clear, almost cinematic picture in my mind of each scene and moment of this book and they're images I know will stay with me for a long time.

I have no doubt I will be not only reading more of Cat's books very soon but also returning to this one in the near future because it was stunning and honestly? I already miss this gorgeous cast of characters.

hollyjohanna's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring slow-paced

ramunepocky's review against another edition

I wanna reread this bc I dont remember everything aboht it, but I think about it all the time

rubyslayer's review

emotional hopeful slow-paced

guiltlesspleasures's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Hi! I’m the last person in the world to read this book! And oh how I loved it.

I only made four reading notes in Storygraph because I was too busy devouring it, but 75% of them ended in “🥹”. And that’s what my face looked like allll the way through.

This is a slow burn, gentle romance set in New York in the late 1950s between tough guy reporter Nick (who isn’t that tough, really) and Andy, the klutzy and absentminded young man who is in line to inherit the newspaper Nick works for.

Early on in the book, after the lovely Andy had already made friends with gruff Nick through sheer doggedness, Andy gets engaged to Nick’s colleague Emily.
It’s only after Emily ends that relationship that Andy starts to accept that he might actually be queer.
Specifically, queer for Nick. 🥹 It’s a long journey to their HEA but it flies by. I was RAPT.

Cat Sebastian specializes in stories of queer joy. There is well-justified angst here but it never overwhelms the story. Family drama, police corruption, fear of arrest, fear of failure — but through it all is Nick and Andy’s love for each other: first platonic and then deep, rich and passionate.

IYKYK: Daffodils, “You Send Me,” minestrone. 🥹🥹🥹

heatheronthego's review against another edition

hopeful informative

itslucyamber's review against another edition

Umm excuse me, who gave this book the right to be so heartachingly romantic and tender?

luc_agterhof's review against another edition

funny inspiring reflective medium-paced

For once, I read something in this genre that was a bit more reflective of the past and forced you to envision yourself in 1950s America. As a queer individual it is quite unimaginable how living environments were for previous generations. That being said, this could have been done better I think. The story focused primarily on the romance between the two protagonists, especially in the second half of the book (which is always a nice read). However, the realism that this book could have portrayed, or in other words, the representation it could have provided is lacking somewhat. For example, the plot presents a potential disastrous connection with law enforcement, but that is swatted away in the end through a mix of progressiveness and courage... In short, the book had space to better present the reality of being queer in 1950s America which is something I personally would have appreciated. (3.75/10)

Nonetheless, the author of the book writes really well and melodically. The text flows nicely when reading and the way in which it is structured gives you space to breathe. Thus, a surprisingly pleasant read for a non-native reader of English. (4.5/10)

Median score is 4.125 --> 4.25 (Recommended read for anyone interested)

berrystrawbs's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced