The Friend Zone, by Abby Jimenez

morgan_leigh_meredith's review against another edition

I devoured this book - it was fun and touching.

onlyeattacos's review

emotional reflective

0.5

The blurb is wrong. Kristen Peterson ONLY DOES DRAMA. I hated this book. I hated Kristen. I did not find her likable at all. She was totally mean and selfish. If the roles were switched, and it was Josh that put the restrictions on the "relationship" then I believe more people would have called foul. She was literally the worst.  I felt like she treated Tyler terribly. Yes, he was
Spoiler wrong about letting her know through a voicemail. She could not even take the time to call him or confront him. She wasted no time hooking up with another guy. But prior to that, she was already having an emotional affair with Josh! That is not cool. I personally read books as an escape. I like GOOD serious books, I like the occasional sad book. I do not enjoy books where main characters die. If I wanted to read books like that, I would read the news. Because of that, I hated the book even more.

mackenzierm's review against another edition

THE FRIEND ZONE was my first Abby Jimenez novel and will not be my last. Abby navigates topics that are sensitive tactfully and brings the reader through a series of emotions throughout the novel. I personally really enjoy when author's throw in real-life topics and scenarios into romance (or any other genres really), because it sets their novels apart (if done tactfully) from the generic trope-filled novels. That being said, please check trigger/content warnings before jumping into this novel because it does contain some heavy and difficult subjects.

THE FRIEND ZONE is told in dual perspectives: Josh's and Kristen's. Abby's writing style is sharp with strong characters, her dialogue is witty and well done, and I loved the dynamic that slowly builds between the main characters.

This novel is very raw, navigating a spectrum of emotions while adding in bits of humour that all combined to create a realistic and tangible reading experience. Very interested to see where the rest of this trilogy goes!

P.S. The narrators (Teddy Hamilton & Erin Mallon) of the audiobook do a phenomenal job at bringing the story to life.

pkrantz's review against another edition

I'm starting to think Josh is somehow a sexy name because it feels like all romance authors use it??

brin3543's review against another edition

One word... Wow

jsultz3's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

theybedax's review against another edition

This book had me chuckling and catching the feels all throughout. Then it kept punching me in the face, having me begging for mercy. I read this all in one go because I couldn't stop.

vickiealexander's review against another edition

Surprisingly heartbreaking

peixotodust's review against another edition

While I don’t agree with any sort of thoughts of cheating, I absolutely loved how there was real turmoil and conflict. It felt real. People are upset of how sad this book went but isn’t life like that? Things happen to people that is gut wrenching, whether we like it or not.

If you’re looking for a sappy romance (trust me, I love those), this isn’t it. This is a lot more of a realist love story which I appreciated. I cannot wait to read the second book in the series.

blj0007's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted sad medium-paced