hslk0111's review

Archie comics has re-launched this series! I think I still prefer the original art and stories, but this was an interesting take.

starkanthonys's review

full disclosure i only got around to reading this because riverdale was so good and it got me intrigued. i really loved the art style and the frigid wind of teen drama has been missing in my comics life

selenes_luna's review

Very enjoyable and great modern take

epiphanylord's review

3.5*

So at 4:50am this morning, I spontaneously decided to binge this series. Because of that, I'm just going to give an overall of the full series here. (No spoilers here).

Compared to the new Riverdale TV series, this has absolutely no substance. Compared to some other graphic novels/comics, this has absolutely no substance. The plot was bland and didn't need to be spread out over so many issues.

Besides that, the illustrations were great. I loved the artists' interpretation of the characters. I think it's rely cool how different people can take a story and make it their own while keeping to the original story.

caitlin21521's review

really looking forward to continuing this series! The reboot is fun, and Fiona Staples' art is beautiful, as always.

mayar_kun's review

I LOVE the artwork!

anthroxagorus's review

FCBD!

I've heard a lot of buzz about this modernized reboot, but it's Fiona Staples's art that hooked me in. God, it's good.

Everything about this was good and the Jughead preview? Fantastic.

fletches's review

Whew, this was a hard one! First off, I bought this for two reasons: 1) A lifelong love affair with Archie comics and 2) FIONA STAPLES, YO. Art queen is queen.

And I am so glad I read it. I loved it.

BUT, BUT, it does feel a lot different than Archie, historically. More of a story, less of a trail of running gags (the stories were always my favourite, though). More drama. Better characters, frankly. I expected this to make me feel nostalgic, but it doesn't, not the way grocery store archie comics do. What it did make me feel was curious and thrilled and captivated and excited and amused and delighted and wanting more.

Worth every penny.

swathiblogs's review

I have loved Archie's ever since I started reading them. This one is particularly about Archie and Betty's breakup and how their friends are trying to get them back together.

fragglefrancis's review

I love Marguerite and Sandy's artwork, and Matt's colors really make this reboot stand out. That said, it just isn't the same as the original Mark Waid reboot, the plotlines falling flat.

I'm still invested in the series but would enjoy it more if Betty and Veronica weren't once again reduced to just fighting over Archie. As the Mark Waid series progressed, I had hope for a finally Bechdel-test passing plotline for the iconic duo, but this series makes it apparent it's not going to happen, or at least not yet.

In total, my favorite part of the issue was the small segment about the dynamics between Josie and the Pussycats and Cheryl Blossom. Other than that, it was hard for me to stay engaged.