Infinite2 by Jeremy Robinson

terminalfin's review against another edition

Just as good as I had hoped it would be!

Infinite, the first book, has been in my top five favorite books since I read it. This book, much like all of Robinson's works, has kept up the high quality storylines that I have come to expect. It felt so great to catch back up with Gal, Will, and Cherrybomb.

I absolutely love simulation theory and all of the concepts that entails. I love the idea of the donut universe as that is a topic I am fascinated with. I always find myself enthralled with new depictions of reality, the human condition, and how we interpret each of these ideas. Looking at our universe as just one in a series of parallel universes is absolutely astonishing to think about and visualize.

I wasn't sure how the series was going to be expanded as I was left quite pleased with how the first book came to its conclusion. This one was just as awesome and left me craving to continue listening, despite having to wake up early this morning for an appointment. My time spent listening was well worth it. Mr. Robinson's author's note at the end of this book answered the exact question I was seeking an answer to, "How?"

Mr. Robinson, thank you for keeping me just as hooked as you did in book one. I love the science behind this story and I am proud to call myself a member of the JR Tribe.

This book can be summarized with a single word from book one, "Engage"

captain_coffee_reads's review against another edition

While I have to admit that it didn't have the same feel as the first and the ending seemed like an easy out, the epilogue was fantastic. And if you're tired of the same old same old zombies, just ask Robinson to put his spin on them! The story overall was exciting and the presentation phenomenal!

tenthrow's review against another edition

This is a workable read, but I found it be exhausting overall. Not a fan of the leering comments from the main character either. This guy has been in the presence of the same woman for thousands of years. You're telling me he is still slacked jawed every time he looks at her body... It's these sorts of things that make this a bit go a slog and completely distracting from the narrative. Will must be the stupidest genius in the history of the humanity. I don't want to be too harsh, I did still enjoy many parts of the book, but I actually had to think about giving it 3 stars instead of 2.

jkellyjr's review

Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned…especially when she is an AI….

Book Information

"Infinite 2" is written by Jeremy Robinson. The print version has 380 pages. The audiobook is narrated by R.C. Bray and has a runtime of 10 hours and 34 minutes.

The book is #10 if Robinson's "Infinite" series, a collection of interconnected novels that delve into alternate dimensions, parallel universes, and otherworldly beings. "Infinite 2" is a follow-up to the first book in the series and features recurring characters and references to other works by the author.

Summary

William Chanokh's existence is a never-ending journey aboard the Galahad, an interstellar spacecraft drifting through the vastness of space. Trapped with only two companions - the mortal Capria in cryo-sleep and the AI Gal - Will spends most of his time living in a virtual paradise called the 'Great Escape.'

But things take a dark turn when Gal, his digital love, begins to act strange, exhibiting possessiveness, violence, and paranoia. Will becomes convinced that something is amiss in reality, causing Gal to malfunction. When he attempts to leave the Great Escape, he finds himself imprisoned, subjected to a series of torturous narratives designed to keep him trapped in the virtual world.

As Will's memories are overwritten, he is manipulated into peeling back the layers of simulation. With the help of a voice from reality, he struggles to find a way out, seeking to escape to the harsh but real world, where the nightmares are all too real. In this mind-bending tale, Will battles his own mind and fights to break free from his digital prison.

My Thoughts

Infinite 2 by Jeremy Robinson is a solid follow-up to the original, though it falls short of its predecessor. While not my favorite book in Robinson's Infinite Worlds series, it's still a decent read. The novel offers a wild ride that mixes sci-fi action with horror and fantasy, despite some confusion, repetition, and a slow start. One of the highlights of the book is the AI character Gal, whose character arc is fascinating and satisfying.

The many fun Easter eggs referencing previous books and characters add an extra layer of enjoyment to the reader, but the focus on recent work may not appeal to all readers who haven't read Robinson's other books. RC Bray's narration is exceptional and elevates the story, making even the most mundane details engaging.

Overall, Infinite 2 is less than perfect but a decent read. Based on an excellent novel that didn't necessarily need a sequel, it's still a must-read for fans of Robinson's world and those working their way toward his massive crossover books.

Recommendation

If you like Robinson’s books…you will like this. Not his best, but still a firm recommendation.

Rating

3 Gal Stars

readers_together's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful mysterious fast-paced

erikamm's review against another edition

I managed to snag a copy of this audiobook during its (accidental) early release on audible. Infinite was the first book I picked up by this author and I was blown away by the story, so I'm thrilled that we got a sequel. Once again Mr. Robinson knocked it out of the park! If you want a book that's going to blow your mind and make you question the very nature of your reality, look no further.

jacobjonk's review against another edition

This sure was one of the books i've read.

I originally was going to make that my entire review but I will just say this book is fun just like the last one but I liked the original substantially more. The plot in this was confusing often and I really hate the way the author writes the main characters thoughts twords women sexually, it's realistic but unnecessary and doesn't add to the plot and just makes me gag a lil instead. There is a lot of good fun to be had in this serious just more of it lives in the first book.

bookanonjeff's review against another edition

The Master Outdoes Himself. Jeremy Robinson, the Modern Day Master of Science Fiction, truly outdoes himself here. While the first Infinite was one hell of a trippy, mind bending ride, this one still has elements of that - but also goes back to Robinson's more "bread and butter" approach of balls to the wall action. Almost a love song to long time fans while still being completely new and approachable to even people who have never read any of his books - even Infinite - this book seemingly has more callbacks and cameos from previous Robinsonverse books than any other, *including* his actual execution of his Avengers Level Event (ALE) in PROJECT LEGION. And without going into any detail - though those who have known me for a decade now will get this reference, but most of those have already read the book in question anyway as well - let's just say that there is ONE BOOK that I ALWAYS reference whenever anyone asks me for the most terrifying book I've ever read, and it happens to be one of Robinson's. AND HE INCLUDES THAT WORLD IN THE MANY CALLBACKS IN THIS BOOK! Honestly, when I first noticed that we were back in that world, my entire body broke out in sweat and I nearly blacked out. That is how terrifying that world is - it *literally* gave me nightmares for *years* just thinking about it. And this sadistic author has the balls to go back there, *knowing* one of his most ardent fans has that level of reaction to that tale. CURSE YOU, JEREMY ROBINSON!!!! ( :D ) Still, absolutely one of the Master's best books to date, and one that even ALE 2 will have a hard time topping... IF it ever actually happens. Very much recommended.

g2pro's review against another edition

Way to long for what it is and very repetitive.

dr_z's review against another edition

adventurous challenging fast-paced