The Girl in the Video, by Michael David Wilson

sophielaine's review against another edition

extremely cliche and just, well, bad.

branchzz's review against another edition

3/5 ⭐️
Don’t open links from strangers, people!

gazzav's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

enchantressreads's review against another edition

"Tell me what you like."

The Girl In the Video begins with Freddie, a teacher currently living in Japan (as Michael David Wilson is himself!) and a strange video in his DMs. It escalates into a terrifying story of obsession. Since the novella itself is so short and sweet, I'll end there.

This book is so terrifying because it is so relatable. How many DMs have you gotten and blindly opened from someone you didn't know? How much of your internet content is available to the public? Freddie is just a normal guy with a normal online presence. It really could happen to anyone.

I've watched quite a few horror movies based around technology, but this is one of the few books I've read. It's definitely a genre I want to explore in the future, and I will definitely be reading anything by Michael David Wilson in the future.

plagued_by_visions's review against another edition

Some glimpses of something truly horrific blurred out in the white noise of an uneven pace, jarringly artificial dialogue, and a narrative voice not equipped at all to tackle the ambitious premise at such a short length. Some descriptions seem out of place, not fully married to the characters. Overall, it seemed confused, but I can appreciate the true inventiveness behind its concept.

julesloyola's review against another edition

fast-paced

howlinglibraries's review against another edition

I love horror that centers heavily on technology or the internet, so this should've been right up my alley, but unfortunately, I wasn't a big fan. The writing showcases definite talent, but I couldn't seem to connect to what was happening well enough to care much about the outcome. The main character was tremendously unlikable for me, and the decision he made at the end was nothing short of irritating, leaving me feeling like I'd wasted the time I spent on the novella as a whole. I would definitely try other work from this author in the future, but sadly, this story was a pretty big letdown!

itsjustchkn's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

spookyoctopusreads's review against another edition

We all know not to click on videos and links sent to us from anonymous sources, but haven't you ever been tempted? Just one click.

Michael David Wilson weaves his readers a story that is all too real in the technology and social media obsessed age that we live in. No suspension of disbelief is needed in order to delve into these pages, because Freddie's story could be any of one of our stories. I love this type of horror so much, the horror that seems so real, so possible, and so terrifying.

As the story goes, Freddie and Rachel are an extremely cozy and relatable couple who are contemplating starting their journey as parents. Everything about them just screams everyday, normal people. One day, Freddie gets a private message from an unidentifiable account that contains a link. His curiosity gets the best of him, and he clicks the link to find a mildly seductive video. Then, things spiral into weirdness as the videos and messages keep coming, and it's evident that someone out there has a dark obsession with him and truly knows what he likes.

This is a one-sitting read that will have you flying through the pages and devouring every word. Once that last sentence is finished ruminating in your head, you'll be left sitting in silence, thinking to yourself, "Wow, Freddie could be any one of us," and that's where the true horror in The Girl in the Video comes from.

autocorrecttodemons's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced