Reviews for The Grownup, by Gillian Flynn

beccaventuresbooks's review against another edition

Writing: Excellent. Twist #1: Perfect. Twist #2: Eye roll.

bookofcinz's review against another edition

Mind-blown.
Creeped Out.
Freaked out.
Feeling nauseated.

Currently experiencing literary whiplash- did that just happened? Gillian Flynn, you are such a tease, why isn't this a book book? I have soooo many questions, biggest of all "WHY"!!!! Why would you do this to me!

As with every Flynn story, you know it was written from a sick twisted mind. The female character gets under your skin with their internal monologue. This was no difference. I felt like I was staring down a dark twisted path that I could not look away from. Very short, but insanely haunting.

A quick 40min read that will leave you wanting.... well played Flynn

mybookishdelights's review against another edition

Cover: 4/5

Story: 2/5 (It was okay/meh)

Ummm... what was the point of this? I could understand if it was a collection of short stories she wrote, but this seems so random. It was a little creepy and there was some confusion at the end over what the truth was, but overall, it was a story that led to nothing. I mean seriously, the kid is wants to go to a convention and she's like "oh that sounds fun"... that's so random. I don't normally read thrillers and maybe this author is such a fan-favorite that they love anything she puts out. That makes more sense than this story. It did nothing for me, unfortunately.

Reread? No. I will be letting this one go from my collection.

Challenges:
2018 Goodreads Challenge

mmurphy026's review against another edition

It’s hard to rate a short story but I really enjoyed this!

kmbezner's review against another edition

What initially drew me to this novella rather than her more well-known books is the fact that it was marketed as a ghost story. I get that this was necessary to preserve the surprise that it isn’t actually a ghost story (probably), but I was still kinda disappointed at the lack of paranormal activity. What I did enjoy was the ambiguous ending–I mean, just who is in charge here?–and the slow building of tension that leaves the psychic with only one apparent way out.

That said, if this was the only Flynn I ever read I think I would enjoy both the story and my life choices a bit more. The double twist is a much more interesting plot device when you aren’t expecting it or are unaware that this construction is a trademark for Flynn.

brigivras's review against another edition

I enjoyed this story much more than all of Flynn's novels. There was still a plot, suspense, and character development but she really excelled in following one character and solely one character. The book begins in a very unsurprising way, but it hooked me. Quick read, and well written.

hannn's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

Flynn's writing is *chef's kiss* and she creates suspense so well in this story. I like how the protagonist's background is set up to serve the story and I like the uncertainty.
I do wish it went a little further though: the ending felt a little ambiguous and cut too short, especially after the multitude of plot twists...
Enjoyed it though.

mich_gal18's review against another edition

(3.5 stars) Coronavirus book #10. I feel bad even counting this as a book bc it was 63 pages. I knew that going on, but grabbed it because it was available from the library. It was an entertaining 30 minutes but almost feels like a skeleton of a bigger story. Like, this was her draft to see if it was worth fleshing it out and writing a full story. An honestly? I would’ve liked a full story, which is why I didn’t rate this higher. It felt rushed. That being said, it was an entertaining 25 minutes.

martita510's review against another edition

I loved the first two-thirds of this novella, but I don't think it quite earns what it's going for by the end. Would have loved this as full-length novel (and I NEVER say that) because the protagonist is a truly fascinating creature - I love Flynn’s grimy women! Plenty of great ideas that don't fully cohere.

jessie6's review