Canto Bight, by Mira Grant, Rae Carson, John Jackson Miller, Saladin Ahmed

tortacular's review against another edition

Pretty good. I'd say solid 3.5-4 stars. I was not sure what to expect since the idea of Canto Bight didn't really appeal to me. I wasn't particularly interested in it during the film. But for the most part the short stories in here were interesting, and made the planet more interesting as a result.

cayleigh_sorella's review against another edition

What a pleasant surprise. Such lovely stories, introducing new characters and fleshing out Canto Bight. I found myself engulfed in each little story.
They were all unique and had their own charms, as well as suspense. Its amazing how much could happen in one city, in one night.

kevinhendricks's review against another edition

This is a collection of short stories taking place on the casino city Canto Bight from the new Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The stories are mostly disconnected from each other and don't reveal anything about the movie. In fact, the stories are pretty disconnected from the Star Wars world in general. There are some vague mentions of the First Order and the Resistance, and we hear about Jedis, wookies, and farthiers—but these stories could have taken place in virtually any universe. That's a bit of a let down. They're fine stories, but if you're looking to dive into the Star Wars world, these don't quite deliver.

honeyedblood's review against another edition

The Rules of the Game
★★★★
This was WHOLESOME.

The Wine in Dreams
This was BORING.

Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
This was action-packed! And also confusing!

The Ride
★★★
This was fun but ultimately just fine.

The further away I get from when I read this collection, the further it has... virtually no impact on me at all.

diamondxgirl's review against another edition

A look into the activities, people, and politics of Canto Bight. If you’re confused as to why SW included this world, I’d advise you to look at the world around you.

The first story is my favorite. :)

fjordoftherings's review against another edition

Four loosely connected stories, by different authors, all set on the casino/resort planet of Canto Bight. It was by no means essential Star Wars lore or whatever, but such a fun read and exactly the sort of different stories I like to see.

gothamgal's review against another edition

It took me a while to get through this, because they are a collection of novellas about the place and once I read them and fit them into the overall novel it worked.

graff_fuller's review against another edition

Not my favorite Star Wars novel, not my favorite Star Wars movie tie-in, but it was fun learning about the strange creatures at Canto Bight.

ajelliott's review against another edition

This was a very interesting book that detailed the mysterious and fascinating world of Cantonica. I loved the short story format as well, and each of the stories were really well made. The only negative thing I can say is that I think the 4th story was kind of weak. It didn’t captivate my attention like the other three, and the story wasn’t all that interesting. But overall I highly recommend this book for Star Wars fans.

lnewton's review against another edition

I feel the same way about this book as I do the sequel movies. The stories themselves are good but they don't really feel like star wars. If I read these as ordinary short stories then I would give these 2 (maybe 2.5) stars but they feel inauthentic to the story that they are advertised as.