Ignite Me, by Tahereh Mafi

adorkablebookworm's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

evelum's review against another edition

I was attracted to the almost lyrical simplicity of the first book in this series, but the further the story developed, the more attention was given to the more dramatic aspects of it, which made me lose my interest. Still worth reading if you like the dramatic and messy aspects of dystopian YA.

magsbooks100's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense slow-paced

twilighter0507's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

chrisp189's review against another edition

Spoilery-ish *************

This was quite bad.

Pros:
-Juliet working through her trauma
-Juliet learning how to use her powers
-The parts where she was broken up with Adam and wasn't with Warner (also good in Unravel Me)
- Kenji and Juliet's relationship and all their snark
-James being cute
- No more annoying cross outs (at least in audio)

Cons:
-Juliet's relationship with Adam (ew)
-Juliet's relationship with Warner (extra ew)
-The entire plot!!! Like what the hell? What was that ending? They just "solved" all the problems so so easily. So ridiculous I nearly died. I know it was left a bit open ended, but still there were like no stakes and no consequences to anyone's actions
-Warner in general being a gross boy
-Adam in general being a jealous asshole
-The sex scenes (triple ew)

That's all there is to say.

nic_liu's review against another edition

Well, I have to say I enjoyed reading it. But the reason why I'm not giving 5 stars is because I didn't like the ending of this book.

*SPOILER*

It bugs me how they manage to win so easily. I mean, the series built such a powerful image of the supreme commander and how it was nearly impossible to defeat him after The Reestablishment destroyed Omega Point. I expected a big fight, I expected them to fight till their last breath and use all their strength but noooo. They really didn't need anyone except for Juliette, she's bulletproof, barely broke a sweat getting to the supreme commander and shooting him in the head right after crushing his new weapon (a blond guy with special gifts just like the Omega group) with her bare hands. It was just too fast, too easy.

I really like how the author developed Juliette X Warner. Thank goodness she ended up with him, otherwise I'd throw the book out of the window.
The moments between Juliette and Kenji were the sweetest, I love their friendship, it's fun and light when it needs to be, but also serious.
I felt bad for Adam, even though he pissed me off 90% of the time because he was completely different from the guy I'd read and liked in the first book. But by the end of the book he didn't have anyone by his side. Not the way Warner had Juliette. And I felt like his character was just ignored and thrown away, it just wasn't fair. I'm not complaining about Juliette choosing Warner, obviously, but still, he was just left off.

Overall, the book was great and I do recommend it for those who love intense romance.

naxiiha's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful tense fast-paced

morgansbookshelf's review against another edition

I feel like I can't give a proper review of this book because I just spent the whole time swooning over Warner. Unlike The Hunger Games or Divergent, the focus was on the romance over the revolution. I didn't even care what happened with the Reestablishment, I just wanted more time with Warner. He is probably the most attractive character I've ever encountered in a book. Of course he's devastatingly gorgeous, but he's also smart, witty, charming, and he builds Juliette up and encourages her. Warner gives her the extra push she needs to realize her potential. Anyway, what a great series. Mafi slays at romance.

tona_145's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

- barely any smutĀ

griffinsaurus's review against another edition

I LOVE WARNER SM!!!! THIS BOOK IS *THE* BOOK OF THE SERIES (so far)

i love how juliette finally got away from adam and found someone better [warner] like she SHOULD. it was so satisfying to see juliette get out of the toxic relationship she had with adam and find healthier solace in warner. it was a slow burn type of romance, but honestly, when she finally realised she loved warner, it was all SO worth it.

this book was more spicy than i thought HAHA but warner is the loml and i love this book sm