Between Kings, by W.R. Gingell

clear0109's review

This book definitely wins my award for "Book With Most Plot Twists"

There's a whole lot of twisty nonsense and hidden meanings in words (and the narration-- don't trust the narration) that all reveal themselves towards the end, and you find yourself wondering at how the clues were there all throughout the series. Perhaps it is not a "good" last book in the sense of it doesn't give closure like last books normally do, but it ends in a way that is incredibly fitting for the characters and the overall ✨vibes ✨of the story, so I can't really complain.

Overall, it's a great book. Gory, lotsa violence, some off to the side character deaths if you're sensitive to that, and heavy enough that I personally wouldn't re read it super often, but great book nonetheless.

kmjkelsi's review against another edition

fast-paced

techxplorer's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny mysterious tense fast-paced

rainonthewater07's review against another edition

Just right

I've been both excited for and dreading this book for some time now. I couldn't wait to find out what would happen, but i wasn't ready for it to end, either. I'm content with this goodbye. Like much of the series, this book had me feeling some big feelings, laughing, and happily turning page after page.

the_bug's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted tense medium-paced

fairytale42's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful tense fast-paced

This book lovingly mended my heart, but I'm so sad it's over. I will say though, the ending was satisfactory. I really can't see it ending any other way, but that's a good thing! It ended well, and that's all I'm able to say because otherwise I'll delve into spoilers.
I worried that this book would feel more flat without Zero, Morgana, and the rest, and while it did lack a bit because of their loss, it had enough twisty turns and fun to almost make me forget they were missing. Pet, however, doggedly (does that count as a pun?) doesn't forget them as she grasps at anything that might save them.
Her schemes to save them were surprising, as they felt a bit too easy to me, but the sacrifices and toils Pet and company went through proved they were anything but. Most of the plot relies less on action and more finding answers. In true City Between fashion, only right at the end do you find out what Pet and others have really found out, which is both amazing and infuriating, as I can never tell what's going on until the very last moment. For those who love Athelas like me, don't worry - you get some more answers about him, too. Not a full backstory and explanation, mind you, but enough to satisfy. That kinda goes for everything else, too - you never know the WHOLE story, but you find out just enough to make things click.
This book not only solidified the plot but also Pet's character as a leader. She was going to save her team come hell or high water, with a smattering of justice on the side. JinYeong and the rest of the team have come along besides her, and it was a treat to see everyone working together to achieve justice. They've definitely come a long ways as a family and as vigilantes, that's for sure.
Speaking of JinYeong, I wish we got more fluff between him and Pet, but there was just enough to make my shipper heart happy. A bit more flirting would have been nice, but then again, they were kinda in the middle of a life-and-death situation, as they always are. Flirting is gonna have to wait.
Overall, it was less action heavy and more Q&A focused than I'd necessarily prefer, but trust me, this is a perfect ending to an absolutely gorgeous series. My heart will never leave Pet and company, and I know I'll be diving back through Between to visit them again and again.

memyshelfsterling's review against another edition

A satisfying ending to this 10-book series. It went there with the gore, the threads of plot and details coming together, but I couldn't give it 5 stars because I am at heart an emotional reader. I thought it was great, but I didn't love it. I don't think I have as much of a connection to the characters as I should have had having followed them for 10 books, and I honestly don't think all the impacts of the characters emotions and psychology were done as well as they should have been.

shebephoebe's review against another edition

I’m gonna quietly screech to myself about this one for a while. Still processing it, but it tied up everything so nicely, and I still very much love the characters. What faults I found with it aren't enough to overshadow how purely entertaining the whole series was. There's only two things I wasn't fond of, and neither strictly detracted from the story, only my expectations.

ebgracie77's review against another edition

My heart just exploded! What a beautiful book and series. I can’t tell you how good it was enough! There is so much I would say but I won’t spoil it. But… i just want to talk to people about this book/series! So good and so many thoughts.

Mercy, love, family, redemption, forgiveness, strength, laughter… oh so much bundled in this!

whimseyandtea's review against another edition

adventurous emotional sad tense medium-paced

I’m sad this series has ended, but I truly enjoyed it and am still grateful that it saved me from a months-long book slump in 2021.

As for book 10 itself, the last in this series, I mostly enjoyed it.

It was full of the tense action that has made all of these books so hard for me to put down, which I loved.
But for the story itself, some of the main characters from previous books were almost entirely absent in this one, and I missed them a lot.

Also, the entire story was way more bittersweet than I was expecting. Every scene with Athelas felt really raw, and in this book we got an up close view to
Spoilerwhat he did to Pet’s parents through his memories, along with other scenes that really drove home how selfish and cruel he’s been in a way that made him feel pretty irredeemable
And then what Pet went through (and lost) in the end just felt so unfair and depressing to top it all off.

Speaking of the ending, I wish things had felt more tied up and concrete. It just felt a bit unsatisfying in how open ended it felt, especially after making it through 10 books.

Overall and as a whole, I truly enjoyed this series and would recommend it to any urban fantasy fans. But due to the last book, and also how emotionally heavy many parts of the series are, I don’t see myself doing any rereads.