The Decagon House Murders, by Yukito Ayatsuji

jokoloyo's review against another edition

First, I want to say thank you for Sanny who introduced me with this novel, and more importantly introduced me with Honkaku mystery genre. Honkaku means orthodox in Japan, and this genre keeps the whodunit mystery stories alive in Japan. I admit I didn't know the existence of Honkaku mystery before I read this novel.

This is an isolated-island murder mystery with the clues, red herrings, and so on with climax when readers found whodunit.

In my opinion, the mystery and climax is good, just as expected. I expected a twist at climax, and I like the twist. I was reading the last pages at the morning and still sleepy, then the climax words successfully slapped me into fully awake.

I recommend this novel for whodunit stories fans. If you don't know Honkaku genre, I recommend to search a bit about it, as what I have been doing for several days.

EDIT NOTE: I previously only mentioned the genre as Honkaku. Sanny corrected me.

christineliu's review

This was a mostly satisfying "group of people get murdered one by one in an isolated location" mystery with a twist that I honestly did not see coming. The construction of the puzzle is intricate and done very well; however, I felt that the killer's ultimate motive was a little melodramatic which detracted from the story, and the resolution could've been stronger.

molly_lee's review

I really liked this book, a great classic murder mystery I just found the ending a little bit confusing and would have liked the culprit to have been caught

_preemax_'s review against another edition

mysterious tense medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

The reviews I have read for this book prior to reading it was quite negative. But in my opinion, this book was quite enjoyable. I liked the way it was written and though it may have been easy to see who was the killer, it was still revealed quite meticulously and in an enjoyable manner. I would definitely recommend this book :)

yclepit's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

verabie's review

dark tense medium-paced

pixelatlantis's review against another edition

~I received this book free from Netgalley in return for an honest review~
The premise of this book sounded so interesting and it did not disappoint!
Reading this book felt strangely nostalgic. I am a huge fan of Agatha Christie (though admittedly I have mainly watched the tv adaptations of her work) and it's not hard to see Ayatsuji's love for her too. This book really does pay homage to some of the greatest detective/mystery stories but is also very creative in its own right.
I must admit that I am able to guess murders relatively easy in thrillers nowadays but this one got me! I really was left guessing right up until the reveal.
While there are many characters in this book, Ayatsuji made it very easy to distinguish between them. They were all so full of character that when the murders started, I really wanted them all to be saved!
This book would have been a five star but I had to bump it down a little because of the ending. I loved the reveal but I think that it just felt a bit rushed and I came away wishing that things had been explained in the same detail that had been used earlier in the book.
But despite this, I would recommend this book to anyone that loves classic mystery novels! I have a feeling that there will be a few people getting this book for their birthday this year!

siyxx's review against another edition

dark tense slow-paced

pamshenanigans's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Atmospheric, mysterious, and ominous read. Makes you keep on guessing who the killer is. It gets a bit too handed in the end though, like the author validated why and how the killer pulled off the murders by explaining the series of events.

tiffanykarayareads's review

This book follows a group of college students who are all part of the mystery club. The club is for lovers of mystery books and everyone is given a name from a famous author (this is how each character addresses one another in the book). A group of them decide to visit this island where multiple murders took place. They hope to write about it for their upcoming magazine issues. However, one by one they are killed off and no one knows who is doing it. Meanwhile, on the mainland another group of people receive threatening letters, discussing the death of a former classmate. The book plants clues that help you decipher who you believe the killer is. The book is an homage to "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie and you can see the clear similarities in the story. I ended up giving this book a 3/5, because I felt very bored with the story. The first murder took a while to build up to and the set up was weak. I also didn't feel emotionally connected to the characters so when they were murdered it fell flat. They aren't given much of a personality. I felt like the ending where everything was revealed was the best part. We got to see the crime through the eyes of the killer and we could see his motive for doing this.