The Decagon House Murders, by Yukito Ayatsuji

bookishnostalgiawithshi's review

slow-paced

meliacoletta's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

mockingjayreads's review against another edition

Loved the mystery but the characters were dry as hell and I needed more spice. I'm totally intrigued by the shinhonkaku genre though!

lucianyaz's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

massivepizzacrust's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

First the good: I really enjoyed the writing style once I got into it. The dual timeline was a nice break from the tension on the island, and provided good exposition. I'm also a sucker for someone telling the whole story at the end, though I would have preferred it from one of the detectives. Now the rest: I knew this was a closed room mystery going into it but unfortunately it's modeled after my least favorite Christie. I just don't really enjoy this amount of people dying in such quick sequence without any progress being made on solving the mystery. On top of that, I guessed who the murdered was as soon as everyone was on the island and I never really wavered from that decision, I even guessed the motive. There was still an interesting twist in the end but a lot of the characters on the island made pretty stupid decisions.
Spoiler How many people have to die from poisoning before you stop smoking other people's cigarettes and drinking the drinks they make you? And none of the characters ever realized that as a relative of the island's owner, Van had the opportunity to come to the island early and set up any supplies he wanted? The only surprise for me was that it was Morisu going back and forth, that was a pretty neat alibi trick. But risky since any of the students could have told someone before the trip that Morisu was joining them.

sophia_ginley's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

vkitoria's review against another edition

mysterious fast-paced

emilydobson's review

This review is for an ARC of the new translation provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't really know what to expect from this book but I love Agatha Christie type murder mysteries so I was really intrigued! After finishing it, I'm not sure how I felt about The Decagon House Murders. It's in a similar style to And Then There Were None where the victims get picked off one by one, so I did enjoy the suspense that ran throughout the novel. I would say one of the best aspects of this book is the thorough explanation at the ending - you're not left in disbelief because every little thing is recapped from the point of view of the killer. (I wouldn't say the motive was the best but it wasn't outrageous either, so I wasn't necessarily disappointed).

Some of the characters did blur into one another because only a couple had distinct personalities, which was a shame. I also felt that the start was very slow and I only became properly interested in the book at around the 40% mark. Sometimes the writing style could be a little flat, but there was a good sense of atmosphere during the scenes on the island. Overall, I would recommend this to fans of classic murder mysteries to broaden and diversify their reading in this genre.

alice_ahrens's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced

bookish_angela's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced