supermanabi's review

The stories told by these students are often fraught with violence, whether in their homes, on the streets, or in the school. They tell of their own drug addictions as well as those of their parents, what it was like to grow up in the projects, or with their dad in prison for a crime he didn’t commit, or a million other travesties that nobody should have to live through. Read the full review here

joehbooks's review

emotional funny inspiring sad medium-paced

daphnedc's review

Really moving and truly inspiring

kait_sixcrowsbooks's review

slow-paced

I don’t remember much since I last read it back in January, so you can tell how memorable it was for me, lol. I dunno, it was alright. The whole “tolerance for ALL” mantra was way too heavy-handed for my taste, but I’m glad the students were able to find solace and community within Gruwell’s classroom.

shamelesslyash's review

I had to read this for a class I’m taking and I kind of rolled my eyes but I ended up really liking this book. Long Beach is only a 10 minute drive from my house so I’m familiar with the area. I grew up in the 90s so I wasn’t a teenager nor did I know much of what was going on but wow there was a lot.

The Freedom Writers tell it like it is without sugarcoating it. This was a real look into what was happening in the early to mid 90s.

salemprince's review

I've seen the movie and loved it. One of the original Freedom Writers came to my university to talk and he had a great message. I would recommend this to any teachers or anyone who wants to read about the problems happening in the US and wants to learn how to solve them.

eoppelt's review

I love the story behind the Freedom Writers. As a teacher I love hearing about students who are so successful. My problem with this book was the editing. It lost so much of these students' voices. Part of a story is the voice it is told in, and the voice was edited out of this book. I teach teenagers, many from similar backgrounds as these students. They don't write or speak like these journal entries. I wish this book was less edited.

iwishiwasafinch's review

This book is Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac: it's an ok song that every once in a while makes me feel pretty good, but it's the worst song in its, like, grouping of songs; every time I hear it I think about Bill Clinton; and there are so many songs I'd rather be listening to

rachelp's review

This book is a compilation of journal entries written by Erin Gruwell's 150 high school students. The book starts when they are freshmen and continues through their senior year and graduation. The students are "high risk" students. Students no one had faith in, except their teacher, "Mrs. G." They all take great strides, and while no one, not even their own families, expected them to make it to their senior year, the students strive to change not only their own lives, but also the world around them.