Reviews tagging 'Gun violence'

The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt

kingcrookback's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced
Theo's story is permeated with a sense of displacement, of being out of place--grief, the passage of time, antiques, old art, physical distance, memory, estrangement, the gap between imagination/ideal and reality. For the most part, I enjoyed Tartt's writing style, especially how she captures emotions and headspaces that are typically very fleeting, ephemeral. This book is also very Dickensian, especially in its exploration of class, crime, and abuse.

However, as nice as the language was at times, it's slow-paced enough that I had to actively work (as in make sure I read a certain number of pages per day) so that my progress didn't peter out and eventually result in a DNF. The last arc of Theo's story is also rather incongruous with the rest of it, which threw me a bit. Tartt also seems to have a problem with leaving her female characters underdeveloped, which I suppose could be chalked up to the way Theo engages with women as a result of his grief, but it's still a bit annoying.

lindsaylhunter's review against another edition

adventurous dark reflective sad slow-paced

First half was on the right track to being better than the Secret History, but I was willing the book to be over by chapter nine. The author has a beautiful writing style but, in terms of the length of her novels, has no idea that less is nearly always more.

xsifx's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

capucapulet's review

challenging dark emotional reflective sad

kers_tin's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious slow-paced

bloodredscar832's review

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

~ 3.75 - 4.00 ~

In the end, I don’t quite know how to describe my experience reading this book and my thoughts afterwords. I enjoyed the book well enough, but I especially liked the writing style - I really need to look into more of Donna Tartt’s works, her writing style is so descriptive and flowy and beautiful; I really like it. The characters were all interesting in their own ways (I particularly liked Hobie, Boris, and the Barbour’s, Mrs. Barbour specifically) and I enjoyed all of Theo’s interactions with each character. I think that this is definitely a story that needed to be told, and one that will stick with readers for a long time - whether good or bad.

For negatives, I believe that the book was much too long. My version had 771 pages, and it was an absolute pain to get through. I thought it was pretty impressive that the author was able to have subplots in the middle and keep the book interesting. As I realized later, the way she wrote the middle and the subplots she included actually made the middle of the book read as being rather plain and I had to drag myself through by sitting down and forcing myself to read. I felt that the last 200 or 300 pages were disconnected from the book - like I was reading a completely separate book. It was especially hard to get through that section for some reason, probably because I didn’t care much for the situation or many of the random side characters. It seemed that I was just getting a bunch of names thrown at me and I didn’t really bother trying to remember who was who. Plus, the last 50 pages were strange compared to the rest of the book and didn’t really add anything, although I did enjoy the writing and the philosophical speech, however, it didn’t really fit with the work in my opinion. Almost like Donna Tartt was getting tired of writing and just threw something on there at the end - the ending to me, simply, felt unsatisfying and the book felt incomplete.

All-in-all, definitely a book I’m glad I read (I mean, the writing style alone was just incredible for me, mwah)! The book drew me in with the interesting plot line and kept me hooked with these side characters that were far more interesting than Theo. I don’t necessarily know if it’s a book I would read again, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The words and characters that I’ve read in this book over the past two months have definitely left a lasting impression, and I think that you should (at-least) give the book a shot!

amberlen's review against another edition

challenging dark sad slow-paced

Uff, this book dragged, y'all.
The only thing that makes this somewhat bearable is Donna Tartt's writing style because her sentences just flow into each other effortlessly and beautifully. But even then it took stamina to get through this doorstopper.
Add to this that this is one of the most depressing books I've ever read in my life.
SpoilerTheo's teenage years in Vegas?? Just watchin a thirteen-year-old numb himself with alcohol and get taken advantage of by his Dad??
I just wanted to curl up and sob. I also don't like books where one dreadful thing happens after another with no chance to come up for air once in a while.
SpoilerAnd Theo, depressed and traumatised, just makes bad decision upon bad decision. When he went to Amsterdam to voluntarily retrieve the painting that has plagued him for years was when I lost it. Stay home, dude!!
Technically, I get why the story progresses how it does, it brings across the overall message of 'Life is suffering but there's beauty in it as well and we just have to live it and make it worthwhile' but I just didn't vibe with any of it. For a story that metaphysical and emotionally distressing, it did not really touch me that much.

olvrhkl12's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing sad slow-paced

bugcollector's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

הסוף היה יפה,
אבל אני לא בטוחה שזה שווה את עובי הכרך, שכלל עד הסוף המדובר רק רגשות חרדה, מועקה ודחק.

אני גם לא בטוחה אם באמת אהבתי אותו, או שהדרך הארוכה שעברנו ביחד הפעילה עליי מניפולציות.

אפשר להשוות את קריאת הספר לצפייה בסרט אימה כשאתה קטן, מכסה את העיניים אבל עדיין מציץ מבעד לאצבעות כדי לראות.

מומלץ למזוכיסטים, אוהבי אמנות, דמויות קשות לחיבוב, ותיאור יתר.

bucknife's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced