The Perfect Escape, by Suzanne Park

khines213's review against another edition

Super cute YA. Thank you Suzanne for bringing me back around.

Nerdy humans. Zombie escape room. Zombie survivalist challenge. A teenage boy that actually acts like a teenage boy but only in the best way? Realistic romantic plot for said teenagers. What more could you ask for?

buffywnabe's review

This book was a lot of fun, and a really perfect read for the way things are in the world today. You could say it was a “perfect escape” from the world of Covid-19 in a way. The teens in the story had their own definite realistic lives, except of course maybe some of the tech that Kate’s dad was working on obviously not something we have yet. There were some twists and turns thrown out in the big zombie survival competition that I did not see coming. Not only that, even the side characters, ones from Nate’s school, Kate’s dad, and even Nate’s family, all had bits to play that made them a bigger part of the story than I imagined as I began reading. I loved the kids going to a roller skating party, it was funny to hear them talk about not knowing how things worked or how to roller skate, when those were things that were a big deal when I was a teen. In a way it showed me how sometimes things in YA books are more slanted towards the author’s experiences, just because that’s how we write, and it might not be something the teens of today actually do/like/or are familiar with.

Nate’s Korean family was very interesting to read, and see how things might be different. His mom was hilarious, should we begin a #momjokes? And Kate’s friends were cool as well, it was hard to see how her father treated her, but awesome that she had a real friend there, waiting for her, patiently, not giving up when Kate gave her the chance to find her way back.

Nate’s other issue, the kids at his school wanting him to either take tests for them or throw his own grades definitely hit close to the recent issues with the celebrities and what they did to get their kids into the colleges they wanted. So I liked that aspect as well. I don’t know how much I liked Nate’s friends, but I guess they were probably realistic teen boys. And I knew from the start that Annie wasn’t really a friend if she was hanging out with boys besides Nate and her old friends.

A fun read, and I sped through it! There was one line in the book that I just loved, it was something like: “Noah’s Ark meets Titanic.” Guess one bonus of this self-isolation/quarantine time is I actually can sit and basically read a book in a day.

Review first published on Lisa Loves Literature.

a_ab's review

3.5* This book was a mix of eye-rolling, snorts of disbelief at some of the authorial mishaps, and heartfelt character moments, which did ring true and honest. That least component is solely responsible for the rating.

The whole survival competition was, quite frankly, boring and lame. It didn't make any sort of practical sense. The technology and robotics parts were hilarious - in a sad unintentional way.

But the characters were well written. The dysfunctional families were frustrating, but believable. So I am rounding up because the human aspects were there and well intentioned.

hart_ley's review against another edition

• Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

1.5

christinerobbins's review

this was good but there were some parts that just didn’t do it for me

jennajezierski's review

DNF because this is such a bad book

noelvickery's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

ymalima's review

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

__booksandanimes__'s review

The Perfect Escape was a perfect escape from my previous few reads, which had explored the dark underbelly of society (except Alice's Adventures Underground). I enjoyed the quick pacing of the plot, though the instalove did throw me off a little. For some reason, I thought Kate and Nate were older than they were (I assumed 21 at the least) but they were a bunch of teenagers and honestly instalove at that age is very much a possibility.

The book was a mixture of cute and awkward flirting and The Hunger Games. It was a lot to take in at times, especially during the last few chapters, it turned pretty unrealistic, but I still enjoyed it because I was reading it for the trashy fun, not for the plot or character development.

Speaking of characters, Nate and Kate were extremely relatable. Apart from Nate's casual sexism (funny because he himself faces it), he was pretty adorable. As for Kate, I sympathised a little too much with her. Then there was all the cheek flushing, hearts beating faster, and other classic symptoms of awkwardness and embarrassment. It was like looking at a mirror. I do not, however, think that I would be able to break a branch using my body weight.

Plot-wise, it was the classic they meet and fall in love, kind of thing. What differed this time, though, was that there were no bad boys involved (thank god for that). Both belonged to the Hermit/Dregs section of the society, which I would take over a 'bad boy falls for good girl' story any day.

There were some Korean references too that set the book apart from your everyday American romcom and also reminded me of the times I used to watch Run BTS.

All in all, it was a kind of retreat that I needed. The plot at times was as thin as smog and the characters somehow turned superhuman (Nate's Krav Maga classes are evidently too good) but it was an enjoyable read.

kristimcmanus's review

Fun, original read with characters that you can actually relate to. Wish there had been more of the actual survival game and less lead up, but overall an enjoyable read