Gallant, by V.E. Schwab

rhayrhay's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Great atmosphere, dark supernatural mystery wrapped in a coming of age novel. Makes you think about home, parentage, family vs chosen family. I like how she determines where she belongs, and that she choses love over power, mourning over being stuck in the past. The ending broke my heart, and while that's okay, this is not a light-hearted read. The end is not a happy one, per se, but the plot is resolved and the main character arc is melancholic but beautiful.

gracews_library's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

serena_hien's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

camilla_p's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

• I love the different forms of communication and how the characters interact with each other
  • The acceptance and sense of belonging Olivia was able to find throughout the story was comforting, yet it felt a bit unfair
  • Spoiler Even though Olivia did have a family in Hannah and Edgar it was sad to see all the Priors dead
  • It’s sad that though Olivia is able to trap Death again, she’s not able to have peace, the only true comfort is knowing that when she dies, Death will stop
  • I loved the mystery throughout the story, the story is very compelling and you feel like you need to see it through, no matter what else you should be doing

katelynmarie46's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

zzzazzzy's review against another edition

This one is gonna give me a book hangover for sure. Excellent spookiness.

folklaur's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

clotalksbooks's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

Firstly, this book is a piece of art. The illustrations really added to the feel and experience.

The story starts full on spooky, and doesn't hide away from the creepy, keeping that tone throughout. I really liked the atmosphere of the book, and how that was enhanced by the setting.

I liked the main character and getting a bit of an insight into what it might be like to not be able to speak.

The pace for the majority of this is quite slow, but not in a boring way! Then for the last section it increases dramatically. I think I would have liked it to have lasted a bit longer if I'm honest. Overall though, a spooky story that is unlike anything else I have read.

darby83's review against another edition