Geekerella, by Ashley Poston

cwalsh's review against another edition

Read for a conference; very sweet and a stereotypical Cinderella retelling.

voiddragon117's review against another edition

a nice cute book.

arthurpendragonns's review against another edition

5/5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

“Never give up on your dreams, and never let anyone tell you that what you love is inconsequential or useless or a waste of time. Because if you love it? If that OTP or children's card game or abridged series or YA book or animated series makes you happy?
That is never a waste of time. Because in the end we're all just a bunch of weirdos standing in front of other weirdos, asking for their username.”

― Ashley Poston, Geekerella

GUYS THIS BOOK THIS BOOK! I'M CRYING RIGHT NOW OF THE FEELS AND I NEVER CRY BECAUSE OF BOOKS! NEVER!

This book is perfect. There's no flaw about it! Hence the 5 star rating. It's perfect and relatable and amazing and funny and spectacular and everything I need from a book. This book is for us, geeks. NO ONE WHO ISN'T A GEEK CAN APPRECIATE THIS BOOK THE RIGHT WAY I'M TELLING YOU. No offense to non-geek people but this is a little something for us forever-and-ever geeks.

This book is a Cinderella retelling (but could stand out as its own book without the Cinderella influence) about a girl named Ella and her passion for a tv show called "Starfield" (which mostly reminds me of Star Trek and I love that) that she shared with her late father. She lives with her evil stepmother (stepMOnster) and her stepsisters who bully her into existence. After a while she finds out about a contest centering the new film reboot of "Starfield" and she has to enter but at what cost?

I've been a geek my entire life. I don't remember myself not being a geek. From Harry Potter to Star Wars to Doctor Who to Marvel to Lord of the Rings... I've been in fandoms my entire life, I've been reading fan fiction my entire life, I've had OTPs I would die for my entire life, I've been making GIFs for my favorite shows for Tumblr my entire life. This book was a hymn to people like me. This book didn't make me cry because of the romance but because of the nerd culture love it portrayed. It made me feel like I belong in an amazing world not too many people can understand. But the ones that can, know. We all geeks know. The author did an amazing job with making us nerds relate to this book cause she's a nerd herself. And she knows. Like for God's sake this book even contained MEMES. FUCKING MEMES. I live for this book.

I'm so happy I got to read this. I'm so happy for these characters. I'm so happy they got what they deserved-happiness. I'm happy for Elle, Darien, Sage, Cal, Gail, Lenny, they were all wonderful. And I'm so grateful to the author for giving this book to us. IT'S MY FAVORITE BOOK RIGHT NOW OKAY IT IS. Unless I read another book of hers, or another book about fandom culture and die again.

This review is such a mess but I am a mess right now! I would recommend this book a 148394820% to geeks like me, to fandom people like me, to people who know. If you know what I'm talking about throughout this review and if you can understand my feelings for this book then it's for you. Order it, read it and then thank me cause I recommended it this book to you ha! NOW ABOUT TO CRY SOME MORE BYE!

ninaisokay's review against another edition

Literally ate this book. Such a refreshing, fun and amazing read.

kayleigh_reads's review

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

craylean's review against another edition

I DONT KNOW HOW I SHOULD DESCRIBE THIS BOOK BECAUSE I LOVED IT SO MUCH

alienor_kerjan's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted tense fast-paced

l_aydag7's review against another edition

This book was an ADORABLE adaptation of Cinderella that I was in love with it from beginning to end. Obviously like any other Cinderella rendition it is highly unlikely, though made more modern with acting instead of royalty, but with a great book it doesn't matter and this was a great book.

I loved the characters and the plot and every quirky bit of this novel. I can definitely see myself reading it over and over again.

ibenmarie's review against another edition

One word - geeky cute!
This was just what I need, this november.
It was fun, it was a good twist on the Cinderella story.
The characters was fun, and a nice little read.

- One small criticism: I wish they had shown a little more of the Father and Catherine's relationship, it would have given her a bit more depth.

annnnike's review against another edition

I love Cinderella movies and books. They always lift my spirit and put me in a good mood. And Geekerella delivered the cuteness and geekiness that I was hoping for!!! Right now it's a 5/5 stars book for me.