The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict, by Trenton Lee Stewart

daphne2000's review against another edition

This book feels very different from the other books in the series. It feels like a more traditional middle-grade book and there is a noticeable lack of riddles and word-play. Nonetheless, I still loved it. Trenton Lee Stewart's writing is so cozy and charming; I always fall right into the world that he creates.

Even though we don't get many riddles in this, I really enjoyed seeing Mr. Benedict Nicholas outwitting his enemies and crafting his plans. He was a very believable child-genius. By this I mean that, even though it was obvious that he was extremely bright, he never came off as an adult. He still seemed very childlike in many ways despite his intellect which I liked since oftentimes precocious children in literature come off as adults in a child's body.

I also really liked the ending. It was perfectly bittersweet. It leaves Nicholas's future wide-open so it doesn't cause any continuity errors, but it also has enough closure to make it satisfying. There's no need to know anything about the rest of the series in order to enjoy this book, so I'd highly recommend it to anyone that likes Middle Grade novels.

alm4nac's review

challenging emotional mysterious medium-paced

smaezane's review against another edition

2020 update: just as delightful as the first read aloud to the kids.

This exceeded my already high expectations for this book. It was just so excellent

lorimca's review against another edition

I don't know why I'm so drawn to these books, but I am. This was the best of the set.

n3f's review

adventurous hopeful lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

annashaw411's review against another edition

Loved this book! Such a great storyline, great for middle schoolers, but also such good underlining messages. Diverse characters…great for orphans and kids with hearing loss. One of the main characters uses ASL! Bonus points for excellent descriptive language, especially of the library, and for the love of books and knowledge to just jump off every page!

hulahoopes_7's review against another edition

Excellent character study of Mr. Benedict and wonderful stand alone novel. Enjoyed the narrator very much.

vlynnk89's review against another edition

Having read the Mysterious Benedict Society, I always wanted to know the background of Nicholas Benedict, the founder of the society. This book gives all that and more. Nicholas is nine and has been moving from orphanage to orphanage for years. When his guardian drops him off at the new orphanage, she warns him to be good. The problem is not that Nicholas cannot obey, but that his conditions make him easy pickings for teasing. He has narcolepsy and falls asleep at random times. He also falls asleep any time he feels extreme emotions. Nicholas also has a photographic memory and can speed read.

This is a great addition to the series and I love that this is where Stewart went after finishing the last book (so far) in the series. Getting some background on Nicholas provides an intriguing look at the boy who became the man.

nranderson11's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

slow start but excellent excellent story

seaglassghost's review against another edition

this is such a wholesome, nostalgic book :’) very good for listening to during late night drives and for calming anxious nerves