Reviews tagging Death

The Duke and I, by Julia Quinn

sillyduckie's review against another edition

slow-paced

saturnpersonified's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

jax00's review against another edition

adventurous funny medium-paced

Tw: sa, rape

This was a 4.5/5 star book until that scene. The characters were funny but still had darker parts. The build up was also nice.

However, Simon said he never wanted children and could never have children. Daphne agreed with this and married him. However, one nights after a fight, Simon gets drunk and is sleeping and Daphne decides to have sex with him. She then forces him to finish in her, even after he's stated (as much as a drunk man can) he does not want to. Then he runs off, which expected and good. However, he is the one to apologize and Daphne is never thought to be wrong.

lisaandthebooks's review against another edition

emotional

I read this book because I wanted to know what the hype was about.
Well it's definitely problematic. Maybe even more problematic than the series.
I did enjoy parts of the story but the relationship is surely toxic and the representation as well.

amanda556's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

rbookish's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

this was honestly so cute

emmahe's review

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

leahsbooks's review

lighthearted fast-paced

I listened to the audiobook after watching this on Netflix, and I'm glad I did, although I usually don't watch a show until after I've read the book. I liked some aspects of both, although there were some parts of both the show and the book that I didn't like so much.

Reading about Regency-era life was rather interesting, although it seemed like a very rigid and stifling time for women. I really felt for Daphne when it became clear how her entire life was focused on finding a husband, and that if she could, her life goal would be fulfilled, while if she couldn't, her life would be ruined. Initially, she seemed really sweet and innocent (with a great punch), although she did have some manipulative tendencies that became clear later in the book. I liked her, until there was one event that occurred later in the book. While perfect characters aren't interesting, Daphne did something that I really struggled with.

Simon was the other main character. His flaws were on display right from the start, but he was a cinnamon roll under all the rakish behavior. I loved seeing him come out of his shell and learn to be his authentic self. His arc showed the most character growth, and it allowed him to resolve some of his longer-standing issues.

The romance wasn't always an easy one, and it grew out of what is rapidly becoming my favorite trope - the fake relationship. Daphne and Simon pull it off well, even amongst the heavy societal pressures of Regency-era London and Lady Whistledown's society papers. I think the story could have been written without removing one character's say in their own reproductive rights, but aside from that, it was a light-hearted and enjoyable read. The narrator was perfect for the role, with a posh British accent and a voice that kept me engaged throughout the story. While it was a long read, it didn't feel that was at all, with the story maintaining a fast pace that held my attention and kept me entertained.

hailsbooknook's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

3.50 stars
TW; Rape, Sexual assault, Sexual content, Toxic relationship, Violence, Emotional abuse, Child abuse, Miscarriage, Death
This was such a fun read (minus the gross plotline that happens in chapter 18), it was the perfect blend of what I imagined Gossip Girl would be like in the 1800s. I listened to this on audio and found the narrator to be absolutely charming and did a great job differentiating all of the different voices!

It just seemed like there was so much drama happening to our characters - this installment focused on the relationship between Daphne Bridgerton and Simon Basset, the newly appointed Duke of Hastings. Their relationship is based on a whole will they/won't they. It is clear from the start that Simon has some trauma from his childhood resulting in the fact that he plans on never marrying and having children. This topic is something that comes up quite often in the book - it is also the reason why he refuses to marry Daphne knowing he wouldn't be able to give her what she wants.

I really enjoyed the banter between our two love interests (also the steamy scenes were a plus), I started off really enjoying the character of Daphne and disliking Simon - but by the end of the book that had changed. As mentioned above Daphne makes a manipulative choice in chapter 18 that turns me off of her character, I found both of them to be selfish at times.

professional_bruv's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced