Reviews tagging Domestic abuse

The Duke and I, by Julia Quinn

liv_imler's review against another edition

funny medium-paced

I enjoyed a large potion of the book, however I was incredibly saddened by the last 3rd.
Spoiler I despise that Daphne rapes her husband and it handled so poorly. It is never acknowledged as rape, she justifies it to herself, and he asks her to forgive HIM for not wanting a child. The Duke is also physically violent w/ Daphne and it is never addressed, which is quite upsetting.

kirbylover16's review against another edition

emotional funny fast-paced

For me, there's really only one problematic scene. I like all the characters. I felt the things Netflix add and took away made sense and feel like it was adapted well. So if you loved the show there's something you will like from the books and vice versa. It's a solid intro into the big family through I wish we some more of them. The self-deprecating humor is actually funny.

sofiya's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

Problematic parts aside (because there are definitely a few), I don't understand why this book seems to be one of the least favorites over the series. Personally, I thought Simon and Daphne were a really lovely and cute couple. There were also some hilarious parts of this book that had me cackling, which is always nice.

jadebear's review against another edition

emotional funny medium-paced

I wanted to like this, but after learning about so many critical lenses with which to view texts, I just couldn’t enjoy it as I might have once done.  The overt ableism by the Duke’s father was reprehensible, but the covert ableism by the Duke and his new Duchess I found equally irritating.  Especially when his wife who is supposedly supportive and loving says something to the effect of “It’ll be alright if any children we have turn out to have a speech impediment or learning disability, because you overcame it and are basically cured, so we can make sure any child we have is basically ally cured too.” instead of “It’ll be difficult for that child, but we’ll be patient and understanding.  We need to work on society to remove the stigma by spreading awareness and educating the ton.” or something to that effect.