Reviews tagging Misogyny

The Duke and I, by Julia Quinn

em_davies7019's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

jpbacik's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

elleleroy's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

1.5

morrigan_gaines_writes's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional medium-paced

I was determined to read this before watching the show that everyone raves about. But now I don't know if I want to ever watch the show...

WARNING some mild spoilers and TW

At first I was drawn in. I loved Violet Bridgerton and the whole family. I loved their dynamics. Yes, there was misogyny, sexism, and other common issues for the era. Being a historical romance I went in expecting these. But the family dynamic made me happy. The way Anthony was set on making sure Daphne was okay with her future husband and how Violet interacted with her children was fantastic.

Daphne started losing her appeal almost halfway in. I think it was about the time that she kept pressing Simon to do things that she knew would put them on unstable ground. Like chasing her into the garden. But I forgave these things, even after she manipulated him into a marriage. I had a hope that she would turn around as a character.

But then this book broke me, and not in a good way.
I am not one to say that rape as a plot device doesn't have a place, and obviously being a traditionally published book there are no trigger warnings to warn us. My issue isn't with the plot device chosen but with how the author chose to resolve the issue.

Daphne never shows true remorse for essentially raping her husband when he was drunk so that she could have a chance at pregnancy. She gaslights him and rugsweeps the whole damn thing. She allows him to blame their breakup on his stuttering and never ever takes responsibility for her deplorable behavior in manipulating and raping him.

It's not ok. The story could have still had that conflict without it. OR even with it but with Daphne truly taking responsibility. But no.

It is rare that I want to take a character away from the author and wrap them in bubble wrap. But I want to steal Simon and shake him and tell him to find someone else. Daphne doesn't deserve Simon.

Daphne doesn't really evolve as a character for me. Simon goes through so much and his character has great development but Daphne just falls flat. Simon acknowledges how his anger towards his father affected Daphne and works to change. The whole thing left me aggravated and upset even after they got their HEA.

So 3 stars. It would have easily been 4 stars but the way the conflict was handled makes 3 stars a generous rating from me.

sillyduckie's review against another edition

slow-paced

refrejarator's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

maryclaire92's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

A delightfully fun summer read. Certainly full of some problematic behaviors that I cannot condone, but everyone needs a guilty pleasure.

immayaiyer's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

hmlongstreet's review against another edition

challenging lighthearted reflective medium-paced

Having watched the Netflix show first, I found at times always comparing the show to the book and vice versa. I have also read serval other comments on multiple different platforms about peoples opinions on the book before I had finished it. Some love it some hate it and I would be lying if I said other peoples opinions on this novel didn't affect my opinion on the it. But putting that aside I will give MY opinion on the events of the book and to what others have said about it.

Firsts things first I consider the books and shows as separate entities and did compare the two but only because I liked to see what the show added and what the book added to the overall story.

This whole section will be spoilers so skip to the bottom if you want my overall view.

SpoilerOne common thing I heard being said was the racist undertones which I have a bit to say about. Simon says "I am not some sacrificial lamb to be slaughtered on the altar of your mother" and Colin replies "You have spent a lot of time in Africa, haven't you?" It is just that one line towards the beginning of the book. This line could be taken as a racist remark, and I am not sure if this is actually the line everyone is referring to when they speak of the racism in the book. I will say it is off putting when you first read it, considering it has no significance to the story. It can also be taken two ways, 1. that actual humans are being sacrificed in Africa or 2. Colin is referring to an African tradition of slaughtering a lamb and it it most likely the latter. It is worded strange and if you read it fast it can come off as concerning.

The rape scene, the one everyone talks about. I heard about this scene long before I decided to read the books. The only thing that I didn't know is what lead up to it and the events after. I don't condone rape. However, I did hint at the authors attempt to rectify the situation by making both parties feel ponder their actions. That being said there was no strong repercussions to Daphne and she still got what she wanted in the end. I believe that along with the act itself this is the main reason I why people did not like. I am not trying to glancing over it, but it is just one aspect of the book that was a distasteful inclusion, which can be the case with any other book.

Finally the misogynistic and possessiveness of the characters. All I can say is that, some people like that and it is 1813. Woman were literally property of their husbands and it creates historical relevance.

With all that out of the way it was a pretty alright story. At times I found it cute, sweet and passionate and other times I had my nose turning and saying "This is awkward". However I probably wouldn't have picked up this book if it weren't for the show, which I watched first. However I will be reading the whole series so If you care about my reviews there will be many more Bridgerton ones to come.

blueberryelf's review against another edition

emotional funny fast-paced