Reviews tagging Sexism

The Duke and I, by Julia Quinn

sillyduckie's review against another edition

slow-paced

cdoubet's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

refrejarator's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

kayalovesb00ks_'s review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

This is the one book I would say that I enjoyed the movie adaptation much better. The only reason I finished this book to be honest, is because I bought it due to my impatience on waiting several months on Libby. This book was going to be a 3 because it was very meh, the writing confused me with the mix of archaic words and then modern sayings thrown in. This was until I reached a certain part in the book that has *trigger warning* actual rape. <spoiler> Which can be fine to talk about when bringing awareness to the topic however, Bridgerton does not do this. Daphne literally rapes her husband, Simon, and then the rest of the book there is little to no mention of what she did as being wrong. In fact, in the end she gets what she wanted all along.

pvpedreqm's review against another edition

emotional fast-paced

1.5

I’d love to rate this book more because it would have been a good story if it wasn’t so problematic :(

blueberryelf's review against another edition

emotional funny fast-paced

cadybooks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective tense medium-paced

macknificent's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced
This book could have been wonderful if it gave a flying fuck about consent. I was revolted by the way Quinn described
SpoilerSimon's assault, as if it was just a particularly risqué love scene.
🤢

I'm so glad that I didn't spend money on this book. I will not be continuing the series.

rickieskidmore's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

lucyselim's review against another edition

dark funny lighthearted fast-paced

I, like many others, read this book after enjoying the TV show. I had heard very mixed reviews about this book, but I figured I would give it a go, and I was pleasantly surprised with the first half. It seemed like it was going to be a fluffy romcom. The friendship between Daphne and Simon seemed natural and was enjoyable to read. He was kinder and more infatuated than his TV counterpart and she was wittier and smarter. They seemed like a genuinely good match.
And then they got married and ruined it. Even without mentioning 'that' scene, the plot was, in my opinion, ridiculous. I did not love those episodes of the TV  show either, but as I was reading it I couldn't help but just laugh at the ridiculousness of some of it. It was difficult to keep up with their constant mood swings and comings and goings.
Putting the plot to one side, the writing was honestly just meh. It was very jarring to find modern day slang and colloquialisms with regency-era settings. I assume Quinn was trying to make a period piece seem modern and more approachable for younger audiences, but using simple English would have sufficed. I am glad they managed to get a better balance in the TV show.
Another thing I did not like was the stark contrast between Quinn trying to write strong modern women in one moment, and then having them reduced to needing a man the next. 'Then he was completely within her, and she thought she would die from the pleasure. Never had she felt so full, nor so completely a woman,' in particular made me throw up in my mouth a little.
Despite this, I am going to read the next one (because I hate myself) but because I have heard it to be many people's favourites. Mostly, however, because I borrowed the first three books in a compendium from the library and I still have time left before needing to return it. Overall this book really wasn't that great for me, but I can understand the appeal and I hope the next one provides me with better luck.