Reviews tagging Violence

The Duke and I, by Julia Quinn

littlewishling's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

I loved the sibling relationships in this and the romance was fun but I didn’t love the male aggression and the 1800’s version of almost stealthing.

kb33's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted fast-paced

I don’t usually read historical romance, but I enjoyed the tv series and decided to give this a try. I enjoyed the book, but it did have some problematic parts, including the rape scene and both characters’ handling of it. If you haven’t seen the tv series, it wasn’t forced intercourse, it was
Spoiler consensual sex, with Simon’s expectation that he can pull out, and Daphne doesn’t allow him to.

Minus that, it was an enjoyable book.

franciscarockey's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

sillyduckie's review against another edition

slow-paced

cdoubet's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

brooklynjane's review against another edition

fast-paced

hayleyvem's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

hmlongstreet's review against another edition

challenging lighthearted reflective medium-paced

Having watched the Netflix show first, I found at times always comparing the show to the book and vice versa. I have also read serval other comments on multiple different platforms about peoples opinions on the book before I had finished it. Some love it some hate it and I would be lying if I said other peoples opinions on this novel didn't affect my opinion on the it. But putting that aside I will give MY opinion on the events of the book and to what others have said about it.

Firsts things first I consider the books and shows as separate entities and did compare the two but only because I liked to see what the show added and what the book added to the overall story.

This whole section will be spoilers so skip to the bottom if you want my overall view.

SpoilerOne common thing I heard being said was the racist undertones which I have a bit to say about. Simon says "I am not some sacrificial lamb to be slaughtered on the altar of your mother" and Colin replies "You have spent a lot of time in Africa, haven't you?" It is just that one line towards the beginning of the book. This line could be taken as a racist remark, and I am not sure if this is actually the line everyone is referring to when they speak of the racism in the book. I will say it is off putting when you first read it, considering it has no significance to the story. It can also be taken two ways, 1. that actual humans are being sacrificed in Africa or 2. Colin is referring to an African tradition of slaughtering a lamb and it it most likely the latter. It is worded strange and if you read it fast it can come off as concerning.

The rape scene, the one everyone talks about. I heard about this scene long before I decided to read the books. The only thing that I didn't know is what lead up to it and the events after. I don't condone rape. However, I did hint at the authors attempt to rectify the situation by making both parties feel ponder their actions. That being said there was no strong repercussions to Daphne and she still got what she wanted in the end. I believe that along with the act itself this is the main reason I why people did not like. I am not trying to glancing over it, but it is just one aspect of the book that was a distasteful inclusion, which can be the case with any other book.

Finally the misogynistic and possessiveness of the characters. All I can say is that, some people like that and it is 1813. Woman were literally property of their husbands and it creates historical relevance.

With all that out of the way it was a pretty alright story. At times I found it cute, sweet and passionate and other times I had my nose turning and saying "This is awkward". However I probably wouldn't have picked up this book if it weren't for the show, which I watched first. However I will be reading the whole series so If you care about my reviews there will be many more Bridgerton ones to come.

jen1804's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing sad medium-paced

I had watched the series prior to reading so did have preconceptions but was not mad about it.
I loved the Bridgerton brothers content we got during this book! And absolutely adore Violet’s character, and her relationship with her children is everything.
Dare I say I think Simon’s character is more likeable in the book than the series? Though he and Daphne certainly do have a tumultuous relationship.
Overall a great read and I really look forward to reading the rest of the series and getting ahead of the to show.
Satisfactory ending? Yes.

cozycritiques's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted tense medium-paced
"There were rules among friends, commandments, really, and the most important one was Thou Shall Not Lust After Thy Friend’s Sister."
 - The Duke and I

CW: Violence, Rape, Gaslighting
Warning: This review contains spoilers

Tropes:
📖 Fake Dating
📖 Marriage of Convenience
📖 Brother’s Best Friend

I don’t normally write prose reviews anymore, but I had a hard time trying to write this review, so here I am.
I think this is one of the books that sparked my decision to stop giving books star ratings. Because up until around the 60% mark, I was adoring this book. The banter, chemistry, and tension between Daphne and Simon was on point. The Bridgerton family is simply hilarious and I loved the sibling dynamic. I wanted to protect Simon and give him a big hug in the worst way, and be friends with Daphne and high-five her for throwing such a good punch.
But then the conflict happened, and I couldn’t in good conscious boil down my thoughts about this book into something as simple as a star rating. What Simon and Daphne do to each other is not okay, and I’m not sure that it was really necessary. There were plenty of other ways to introduce conflict without Simon gaslighting Daphne about his ability to have children and Daphne raping Simon to try to get pregnant.
From what I understand, the rest of the series gets better, and the show handles it slightly differently (although I haven’t seen it yet so I can’t comment on it), so I will be continuing the series. But The Duke and I just left me with conflicting feelings.

Spice Scale: 🌶🌶