Reviews tagging Blood

The Duke and I, by Julia Quinn

lucyselim's review against another edition

dark funny lighthearted fast-paced

I, like many others, read this book after enjoying the TV show. I had heard very mixed reviews about this book, but I figured I would give it a go, and I was pleasantly surprised with the first half. It seemed like it was going to be a fluffy romcom. The friendship between Daphne and Simon seemed natural and was enjoyable to read. He was kinder and more infatuated than his TV counterpart and she was wittier and smarter. They seemed like a genuinely good match.
And then they got married and ruined it. Even without mentioning 'that' scene, the plot was, in my opinion, ridiculous. I did not love those episodes of the TV  show either, but as I was reading it I couldn't help but just laugh at the ridiculousness of some of it. It was difficult to keep up with their constant mood swings and comings and goings.
Putting the plot to one side, the writing was honestly just meh. It was very jarring to find modern day slang and colloquialisms with regency-era settings. I assume Quinn was trying to make a period piece seem modern and more approachable for younger audiences, but using simple English would have sufficed. I am glad they managed to get a better balance in the TV show.
Another thing I did not like was the stark contrast between Quinn trying to write strong modern women in one moment, and then having them reduced to needing a man the next. 'Then he was completely within her, and she thought she would die from the pleasure. Never had she felt so full, nor so completely a woman,' in particular made me throw up in my mouth a little.
Despite this, I am going to read the next one (because I hate myself) but because I have heard it to be many people's favourites. Mostly, however, because I borrowed the first three books in a compendium from the library and I still have time left before needing to return it. Overall this book really wasn't that great for me, but I can understand the appeal and I hope the next one provides me with better luck.

lunep's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

ruthiedr89's review against another edition

funny lighthearted sad fast-paced

It was honestly great until that scene. I knew about it going in but reading it and learning that she literally said she did not regret its just no. I couldnt  with her after that.

I really like the family dynamics, its refreshing to see family depicted as loving and genuinely caring towards each other feel like ive been picking up alot of books where the characters hate their family so this was nice. To bad that scene had to go and ruin the experience and it wasnt even used as a way to talk on the topic just brushed off which made it all worse

actualophelia's review against another edition

emotional funny medium-paced

owlishly_reading's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

supersandra's review against another edition

Got to the
Spoilerrape-in-order-to-make-baby
scene and that was the absolute last straw for me. I asked a friend how they treat the aftermath and
Spoilerit sounds like the author basically makes them both out to be the bad guy and eventually Love Wins Out and he wants babies
and I just. Cannot.

rbookish's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

this was honestly so cute