The Duke and I, by Julia Quinn

gwenarmstrong7's review against another edition

emotional hopeful slow-paced

Completely biased from the TV show to be honest. I felt like it was a bit slower paced when actually reading the book, but again, I’m biased. I do love a good pretend-to-be-in-love rouse though, so I’ll have to give it another go!

baileyes's review against another edition

Fun and easy, a lack of depth to the world building which is a shame considering you’re following the same family and the same section of society through them all. I also found myself grossed out by the times where I’d read some creepy move by one of the men that I’d realize was supposed to be seen as hot. It’s definitely written such that you’re supposed to be able to believe that the women do want it and have agency and the protests are more for proprieties sake... but damn, especially Anthony. BLEH. Thank goodness fir the third book with Benedict having him finally be explicitly clear that he would stop if his love interest said no (even though there’s still plenty to unpack with allll the power dynamics he has over her)

Side complaint- the author uses the word “convulsing “ way to often to the point that I was picturing characters bob there heads like bobble heads in the middle of the conversation

I appreciated the show much more, particularly fir the greater depth to what power women have and how they exercise it. Daphne in particular seems just dumb compared to the show.
Reading these feels more like learning the backbone to future seasons of the show, and are full of fun silly banter and descriptions of longing that feel more like being 13 and belting out taylor swift, but sometimes the bolder than life drama is just fun

jessmcglynn's review against another edition

Did I pick this up because I was curious after the release of the Netflix series? Yes. Was I thoroughly enjoying myself and being utterly entertained? Yes. Did it all come crashing downhill following THAT particularly chapter when Daphne takes advantage of Simon and physically takes something he didn’t wish to give? Oh. Yes indeed.

This was so, so good and for my first time reading regency romance I was truly having a good time even being willing to overlook some of the gaping flaws (Daphne is depicted as a switched on protagonist with a worldly attitude due to her having 4 brothers, something we are told repeatedly. Until it comes to what happens between a man and a woman in bed. This didn’t actually work for me but I looked past it)

Until we get to the part where Daphne takes advantage of a drunk Simon to get the outcome she wants. It was incredibly uncomfortable to read, as I feel the author depicted a scenario where Daphne knew Simon wasn’t necessarily in possession of all his faculties (she asks him outright why he had to get ‘so drunk’ a number of times in the lead up), and she continued anyway. And we are then meant to believe in a happy ever after for our couple.

Okay, Daphne doesn’t fall pregnant. So she doesn’t get the outcome she wanted, but that doesn’t make her actions any less wrong. And Simon has a moment of internal musing where he thinks ‘I said stop but I didn’t really say it forcefully enough so I guess it’s okay.’ And it’s really NOT. And at no point does Daphne apologise or reconcile that what she did was a gross betrayal of trust and that she basically raped her husband.

It left a bitter taste in my mouth for sure. Thoroughly disappointed with this book.

cinderrunner's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

sadie_young's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

I’m going to say something very controversial… I think the tv show might actually be better than the book 🫣. The book was good in its own way, but the tv show definitely explored more and I felt I got to know the characters in a much more in-depth way. I think I preferred that as compared to the book. Actually I know I did because the casting was incredible and the acting and directing really enhanced what is a bit of a lackluster story.

Let’s get down to the nitty gritty of it right off the bat (and the reason I have struggled to give this a star rating): rape is rape. Doesn’t matter who is the perpetrator. So I can’t really be cheering for a main character who assaults their intimate partner. So… Daphne isn’t a “good person” but any stretch of the imagination. She admits later in her own thoughts that she doesn’t regret sexually assaulting her husband because it made her feel good. She’s going to have a baby whether he wants her to or not. That’s a big enough of an issue. But the even bigger issues….. Daphne suffers literally zero consequences for RAPING her partner. He isn’t mad at her for that (WHICH IS A HUGE BREECH OF TRUST), he’s mad that she made him stutter in their argument. She doesn’t even feel bad for what she did, but she does act surprised that he leaves and doesn’t want to be around her. Her actions are horrendous and I’m horrified that people sexualize assault. Just because Simon isn’t the perpetrator doesn’t mean it’s okay.

[Honestly, if the rolls were reversed and a male ejaculated into a woman without her consent after she explicitly told him she didn’t want to have kids people would be freaking out. No one would call that romance. It’s assault. And the fact that people ignore it because it’s a woman is just disgusting.]

Setting aside what are some of the largest issues with this book. The plot is rather weak. The characters (especially Daphne) are just dumb. Her brothers were all far more interesting and as much as I want to see their stories progress I think I’ll just stick to the TV show and leave these books alone. I just can’t be bothered enough to care about Daphne anymore, she’s a shit character. Clearly the author is better at writing male characters and leaves her female to be complete stereotypes (all blushing virgins with no knowledge what so ever). And I’m not interested in wall flower females or the “I’m not pretty why won’t anyway marry me except people I don’t like” type women. Uh huh. We ain’t here for that anymore

dani_readsdaily's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

abby_gorski's review against another edition

This book is so extremely different than the show. While the book was enjoyable, there were definitely issues. I liked daphne a ton in this book however the “questionable” scene in the book is a lot worse than the show. I feel like the part shouldn’t have been in the book and it definitely impacted my rating.

ladybook's review against another edition

Aferrarte a tus promesas sin importar que te hagan daño a ti y a quienes te rodean, o luchar por ser feliz. Es el dilema que debe enfrentar nuestro protagonista, quien deberá enfrentarse a su pasado y defectos si quiere ser feliz.

Esta propuesta de Gossip Girl a lo Austen, es entretenida pero predecible. No hay giros interesantes o personajes con desarrollos interesantes. Es un libro que cumple su cometido, entretener y poco más.

En "El duque y yo" nos vamos a encontrar protagonista con las típicas preocupaciones de "mi pasado trágico no nos dejará ser feliz". Tenemos a Simon, el "duque", quien ha luchado toda su vida por ser lo opuesto a su padre, pero que (si, ya lo sabíamos) se termina enamorando de nuestra protagonista. Por otro lado esta Daphne, quien es la típica chica dulce que se convertirá en el motor de cambio del protagonista.

Y pues nada, si quieren chismesito histórico esta historia es para ustedes.

exliaxw's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

coreysbooks's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

“Bridgerton - The Duke and I : Daphne’s Story” by Julia Quinn
⭐️⭐️⭐️.5  stars.
  • Fake dating trope
  • 1800’s Regency Period Rom-Com.
I am late to the game on Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton  series. But I am so glad these were scooped up by Netflix because now I’ve found a new favorite author and new favorite series.