The Storm Sister by Lucinda Riley

laura_n_'s review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

helen_t_reads's review

emotional hopeful mysterious sad medium-paced

Having read The Seven Sisters, the first instalment of Lucinda Riley's epic saga of love and loss, inspired by the mythology of the Seven Sisters constellat moved on to book 2 in the series, The Storm Sister.

The novel focuses on the second Sister, Ally D'Aplièse, a talented yachtswoman in her early thirties, who is about to compete in one of the world's most perilous yacht races, The Fastnet.

When she hears the news of Pa Salt's sudden, mysterious death, she rushes back to meet her five sisters at their family home in Geneva, where they discover that their adoptive father has left each of them a tantalizing clue to their true heritage.

Ally had recently embarked on a deeply passionate life-changing love affair, and with fate continuing to turn everything completely upside down, she decides to follow the trail that her father left her, leading her to Norway.

There, she begins to discover her roots – and how her story is inextricably bound to that of a young unknown singer, Anna Landvik, who lived there over a hundred years before, and sang in the first performance of Grieg's iconic music set to Ibsen's play 'Peer Gynt'.

As Ally learns more about Anna and her own roots, she also begins to question who her father, Pa Salt, really was, why their seventh sister is missing?

As with The first book in the series, Lucinda Riley has woven another compelling and emotionally charged story, which quickly hooked me in.

The story, and the over-arching series structure continues to intrigue, and once again Riley uses the dual timeline/story-within-a-story technique to provide the back story, which adds further interest.

I really enjoyed the historical and musical elements which underpin the storyline, and the Norwegian setting too.

The prose felt less plodding and verbose than in book one, and the characterisation, whilst still a little one-dimensional sometimes, was less wooden - it's as though these authorial skills are being developed with each new instalment. What unites both books though, is the lightening speed at which characters meet, and fall in love for a lifetime! That's still very much a thing!

Overall a good story that entertains and intrigues.

ruth24's review

I'm not typically a series reader, but I make exceptions for truly wonderful books - like these! Lucinda Riley does a great job of pulling you in immediately with her likable characters, mysterious plots, and seamless transitions from the past to the present.

The Storm Sister is the second in the series and is primarily about Ally, the second eldest sister of six (or is it seven?!) adoptive daughters. Like the first book, we follow Ally as she experiences loss, then embarks on an adventure to discover her true origins.

The mystery surrounding Pa Salt as a person and also his death, as well each sister's personal background makes it hard to put the book down. What's even harder is waiting to read the next books! Only four of the books are currently published, and I'm wait listed at the library for the third one.

If you're thinking of reading this book - just do it. You're welcome.

robbronnie's review

I often feel more attached to the ancestor story than I do the sister’s story - however, this one was a bit different for me. Ally’s story broke my heart!

I absolutely loved the descriptions of Norway and the history of Ally’s musical roots. The intertwining story of war and loss, forbidden love and regret, and fate (of course) left me teary eyed.

brybrary's review against another edition

emotional reflective

rainbowowlets's review against another edition

emotional hopeful relaxing medium-paced

belindad's review against another edition

relaxing medium-paced

milliei's review

Theo was low key a walking red flag tbh, but I liked Ally well enough

rachvictoria93's review

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

onmyown's review against another edition

Io e Lucinda Riley non ci prendiamo mai, ma ormai sono in ballo..