100 Queer Poems, by Andrew McMillan, Mary Jean Chan

beccamilsom's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective relaxing sad fast-paced

bookloversboudoir's review against another edition

I really enjoyed 100 Queer Poems. Some of my favourites are among those on offer including Funeral Blues by W H Auden, The Whistler by Mary Oliver, Late Love by Jackie Kay, Prayer by Carol Ann Duffy and Reasons for Staying by Ocean Vuong. I also discovered some new poets I want to explore more. I like the mix of contemporary and classic poems. This is well worth a read.

geo_rge_p's review against another edition

reflective fast-paced

Beautiful!

yoen's review

informative sad medium-paced

some v good poems, some v bland

nomournersnofunerals1312's review

i love poetry.

anthologies are always a risk, but i barely had any misses in this one.

just know if you see me reading poetry, my mental health is probably not great lol

ellenannmary's review against another edition

Thanks to the publisher via NetGalley for the eARC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

What a wonderful collection of poetry - I can’t wait to get my hands on the physical copy so that I can dip in and annotate more thoroughly. Covering the last century or so of queer poetry, this anthology documents the diversities and commonalities of the queer experience. I particularly enjoyed the experience of reading a much older poem sandwiched between two more recent poems, and having the context and experience reading of the older one entirely transformed. I also really liked the separation of the poems into thematic sections - ‘Queer Domesticities’ was my personal favourite of these. I think it will serve as a great primer for getting into poetry in general.

deelambe12's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

owenatkinson's review

hopeful reflective relaxing slow-paced

bybyberry's review

challenging emotional reflective

i really love this anthology approach to queer poetry. it asks what makes a poem queer and they suggest some answers ; i like the classification through themes instead of chronological, as it helps seeing the similarities and differences through time and identities on what seem to be the same subject. i particularly enjoyed the "queer landscapes" and "queering histories" section.

bobthebookerer's review against another edition

Pulling together 100 queer poems from across various times, identities and places sounds like a tall order, but this book does it beautifully, reminding me of some I already adore, and some entirely new ones.

It is also clear that a lot of love has gone into this collection, as they are very well chosen, and sit brilliantly next to each other.

I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.