The Spanish Love Deception, by Elena Armas

ladyberry's review against another edition

Despite having both tropes, this book made me realize that I much prefer fake dating to enemies to lovers. I feel like it’s hard to execute the second one well sometimes, especially if one party is supposed to be secretly in love with the other one.
That part fell a bit flat for me, it was so obvious that Aaron was in love with Catalina that the whole first half of the book just draaaaagggged on. He was sending her so many obvious clues and she was just oblivious, harping on the same thing over and over.

As romances go though, it was cute! Once we finally got to the wedding portion (almost 200 pages in) it was much more smooth sailing. I liked the rich setting and background characters, and the way Lina eventually fell in love with Aaron, too - although I could have done without the explicit scenes.

Initial annoyance aside, it did grow on me and I finished it relatively quickly. Fun read!

chuseyreader's review against another edition

Pick this up if you love:
- Grumpy and sunshine
- Fake relationship
- Slow burn
- Workplace office romance
- One sided enemy to lovers
- Single bed situation

What I loved

- This was a light, mindless and quick read that I could skim through without missing important detail.

- Aaron and Catalina’s relationship was so sweet! I loved their interactions, the tension, chemistry and the subtle unsaid things between them. I had to try not to smile like an idiot when I was reading in the living room and other people were around!

- I am a huge fan of Aaron. I loved how he treated Catalina, noticed the small things and looked out for her, it was so sweet and endearing! Aaron was a broody character so when he smiled it was a big deal.

What I wasn’t a fan of

- It was a slow start. The story and conversations dragged on, but when the focus shifted to Catalina and Aaron, I loved it.

- It felt like all the effort in writing the book was during the vacation and after returning, the last third of the book felt like an afterthought. Just throw in one more challenge for the couple, gloss over it and then that’ll do.

- This wasn’t the enemy to lovers I expected. I was hoping for a better set up for why they were enemies in the first place, for their interactions to be fiery and intense. But instead Catalina’s hatred was one sided and Aaron was too good to her!

- I didn’t deduct any stars for this but I don’t actually like workplace office romance because that reminds me of my job and I want to read to escape, not to be reminded haha!

gabidomagala's review

emotional slow-paced

okiedokieyo's review against another edition

eline_vinke's review

emotional lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

graciefacieb's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted tense medium-paced

I just think that id be so good at fake dating… i would not even hesitate to make one of those deals

isabel_ali's review

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

s_c_bookworm's review against another edition

okay okay we get that aaron is big and tall and hulky and bulky and has blue oceany eyes and did i mention he has blue eyes??? you dont have to say it like A MILLION TIMES, PLEASE

something else that really bugged me about the writing: contractions. You know, you are = you're; I will = I'll; I am = I'm; they are = they're. those things. i dont know if you've noticed but casual conversation uses a lot of contractions. without them, dialogue feels clunky and unnatural. the underuse of contractions in this book's dialogue was incredibly distracting and took away so much from what should have been fun banter.

thats it thats the review

giannagiacalone's review against another edition

3.5 stars