Adam Bede, by George Eliot

msrichardsreads89's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

This is one of those books that comes into your life at just the right time and makes you fall in love with it. I was so engrossed in this book that I finished it in less than two days. I loved the slow build of the plot as we got to know the characters. George Eliot's character work in Adam Bede is exceptional. They are nuanced, relatable, and human. I am not a religious person, and neither was Eliot, so I really love how she talked about religion so beautifully throughout this novel and in such a hopeful, uplifting way. I LOVE that Dinah is a female minister, which is something that I have never seen in a Victorian novel. I grew to love her, and I love that she practices what she preaches. The characters became my friends over the course of the novel, and I am sad to be leaving them.

Eliot's prose is gorgeous and vividly descriptive without feeling overly saccharine. I found myself rereading passages because they were so lovely. She has a talent for getting you to reflect on society and themes of patriarchy, pain, family/community, redemption, and morality with the plot and the gripping plot twists.

There are so many parts of this novel that will stay with me, and I look forward to rereading this in the future.

ruairidh's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

A deliberately slow and wonderfully intimate dive into some unique characters who feel real, in a setting which is detailed and feels loved by the author. Although the objective pace of events is slow, it never drags as a reading experience, because the author has a variety of characters whose perspectives she can switch between. I think she uses this quite well, and ignoring the content of the story it's the book's most memorable element for me: in the beginning this switching of perspectives seems to be just for adding depth to this world, but as the tension slowly builds towards one of the climaxes she uses to pull the reader in as close as possible then hook us as she switches to another, blinding us of the actual event in real time, so we only hear little details second-hand. I thought that was great.

Going into the content of the story itself, I liked the variety of speeches each character had; their personalities seemed real and consistent with their actions; and the physical location was wonderfully portrayed.

exlibris_bibliophile's review

slow-paced

zenia17's review

challenging reflective sad slow-paced

mikelangan's review against another edition

Excellent prose. Local dialect takes a bit of time to decipher. A good audio book adds a great deal to understanding and enjoyment. Some excellent secondary characters with sharp conversation and disputes.

Story moves along at a good pace with some unexpected twists. It’s a lengthy read as are most Victorian novels but well worth the effort.

elangevin's review against another edition

I hit a bit of a reading slump during this book, but luckily I was able to get right back into it when I started it up again. Great novel!

yeagleyreads's review against another edition

informative medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

curly_hair_grace's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

serp's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective sad tense slow-paced

dh981's review against another edition

I had never heard of this book, but I enjoy George Eliot's work. Though not as well known, this book has many of the elements I have come to appreciate in her writing. Not to be missed if you are also a fan.