Reviews tagging Body horror

Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson

cerilouisereads's review

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

lilifane's review

adventurous challenging dark hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

Everyone warns people not to start reading Brandon Sanderson with this book, but I always want to experience a complex book universe in the publication order. So I started with Elantris, but told myself that it doesn't matter how much I hate it, I will definitely still read Mistborn at least.
To my biggest surprise I actually really enjoyed this book and if this is his weakest one... okay.
It certainly has its issues. Most of the characters are pretty flat and boring (although I like most of them without a doubt). I think there is only one character that is actually complex and interesting. And the whole political plot didn't interest me that much, I just didn't care for it and I think it dragged on for too long. I didn't care for the king and this baby monarchy, I didn't care for the nobility. I might have cared for the peasants, but they were basically absent from the plot, although they had so much more potential?
The rest of the book? I loved it! The world building is phenomenal, I enjoyed the magic system a lot, everything about Elantris (history, mystery, present state) is so cool and fascinating, and I flew through these chapters. The story was really well plotted in my opinion, all the small details that became important at the end and fit perfectly together. Ah, I love this. (I'm just a little sad the final Elantris mystery wasn't really explained. That scene was so confusing, and I don't know what happened there. I have a vague idea, but it's bothering me not to know the details!)
Also: Although I know, Sanderson discusses mental health in his books, I wasn't aware it was already so present in this first one. The way the suffering of Elantrians can be compared to depression really impressed me.

maelikesbooks's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

diana_barv's review against another edition

emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced

Well I'll be dammed. I am back on my fantasy-loving bs; expect a lot of cosmere reviews in the next months. I had intended to read more of them but finally, Jack convinced me by constantly making references to them and I wanted in on the joke.
Oh Elantris, for a first work it is surprisingly solid and I could see the roots of the style I so loved in Mistborn. The 3 POVs were very solid as was the world building. I could read an entire book on pre Shaod Elantris tho.
Sarene has everything I could wish in a protagonist, she was witty and bold and yet she had insecurities and fears. I loved her banter with Spirit.
Raoden was every bit a "good Prince this kingdom needs" but it slaps. His endless optimism was wonderful and I would have loved to see what he could have achieved with new elantris, separated from him as king of Arelon. Galladon (my beloved) was right, this dude was a sappy romantic and you know what? Some straights do deserve rights and him and Sarene were meant to be.
Hrathen's arc... sir, Mr. Gyron... holy shit. I am still unconvinced if I liked the last bit. His story was so complex and I loved the way he approached his mission and how strong his morals were, autodeception aside. He had purpose despite his lack of faith and he tried to mend his ways at the very end. BUT I do question his motivation. He and Sarene had mutual respect as opponents and barely. This was not an enemies to lovers and I think respect->admiration->love would have taken a bit more time. I feel that he could have realized he had faith in the people more than in his God's will (which was more Wrym's than a divine mandate but theological discussed will take us nowhere) And avoid parting with a dumbass confession he didn't even voiced.
Other random things that kept me from 5 stars are the weird shit with the king's rituals and lack of acknowledgement later. The "pope" who just came to read the frankly ex-machina decree. Sarene taking advantage of the shock; no way the people would have just calmly accepted an elantrian as king, not even their beloved returned-from-death prince.
Adien or whomever. He... No. Bad autistic rep. I am not well informed to give the particulars of why (Jack had however told me he IS bad rep and I trust her first-hand judgment) but even I know that was so wrong.
The pace was a bit funky, the last 3rd was super packed! But all in all I enjoyed it immensely. I even cried when I thought all elantrians lost forever. I am definitely going into the storm light archive next. Wish me luck.

emilyplun's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

jamieleepilk's review

adventurous challenging funny inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

Continuing my Brandon Sanderson journey by going back to the very beginning.
"Elantris was the capital of Arelon: gigantic, beautiful, literally radiant, filled with benevolent beings who used their powerful magical abilities for the benefit of all. Yet each of these demigods was once an ordinary person until touched by the mysterious transforming power of the Shaod. Ten years ago, without warning, the magic failed. Elantrians became wizened, leper-like, powerless creatures, and Elantris itself dark, filthy, and crumbling."

Epic fantasy at it's finest, I will admit it's not quite as polished as his later work but I loved it all the same. With his Trademark charming characters, Raoden a resilient Prince, Sarene a sword fighting, political minded princess and Hrathen a priest with a dark purpose.
Filled to bursting with unforgettable characters, captivating magical systems and mysterious religions. Something I always love about Brandon's work is how immersive it is, every little detail is incredibly well thought out I also do not understand how one many can have this whole universe inside his brain.

kitreads12's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

I tend to find myself reading dark and difficult novels, and this was such a welcome break from what I usually read - lighthearted, well-paced fantasy with genuinely loveable characters and an enchanting magic system set amongst expert world building. Elantris was a truly enjoyable and engaging read, and it's very clear to see why Brandon Sanderson is every fantasy reader's favourite author.

I did have some gripes with the novel that spoiled the reading experience a little - although Sarene is definitely a loveable character, the fact that the author is male does come through here; there is some underlying not-like-other-girls syndrome that irritated me (not necessarily about her character, but about how the character is written), and this becomes very apparent when she is the only developed female character in the story. Sanderson is very skilled at writing men, even at writing them in most cases outside the confines of male stereotypes - but he falls down somewhat in this book in crafting a female character. Having said that, by and large Sarene is well developed and three dimensional, and is certainly by no means the worst female character written by a man.

My other gripe was the unaddressed plot points - although Elantris is a standalone, it finishes as though there is a second novel intended. However, by and large, I really enjoyed this novel - it was escapism at its finest, crafting a conflicted, well-connected landscape I would like to live in.

jadejade's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

My book club picked a suspense/horror novel for October but I was too timid and decided to cut my teeth on my first Sanderson book instead. Little did I know that I chose to read a zombie book.

I tried listening to the audiobook (single narrator) for this one while popping in and out of my physical copy, which made it very easy to listen to while falling asleep: the next day I could check my physical copy to work out where I had dropped off.

Once I hit the end of chapter four I definitely became invested in finding out what had happened to Elantris, and I very much appreciated how the different story threads wove together, and how supposed allies would inadvertently hinder each other, and how antagonists would inadvertently assist each other.

staleblood69's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional fast-paced